Re: runaway vim processes

  • Sean Richards
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2003
      Daniel Elstner wrote:

      > Any other people on this list willing to give the patch a try?

      Vim 6.1 (patches 1-290) on Slackware 8.1.
      Patched successfully but still the same old problem appears :(

      Sean

      | All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new |
      | and improved ways of spelling old words. |
    • Daniel Elstner
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2003
        On Son, 2003-03-02 at 09:54, Sean Richards wrote:
        > Daniel Elstner wrote:
        >
        > > Any other people on this list willing to give the patch a try?
        >
        > Vim 6.1 (patches 1-290) on Slackware 8.1.
        > Patched successfully but still the same old problem appears :(

        Darn. Oh well. Could you please mail me the ./configure arguments you
        used, the output of ./configure, the arguments used for compiling and
        linking (:version tells you), plus the output of 'ldd src/vim'? Hmm
        that's a lot, but nonetheless it'd be really helpful :)

        Thanks in advance,
        --Daniel
      • Daniel Elstner
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003
          Hi,

          thanks a lot for the feedback. It turned out to be indeed helpful, see
          below.

          On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 09:55, Sean Richards wrote:
          > Daniel Elstner wrote:
          > > Darn. Oh well. Could you please mail me the ./configure arguments you
          > > used, the output of ./configure, the arguments used for compiling and
          > > linking (:version tells you), plus the output of 'ldd src/vim'? Hmm
          > > that's a lot, but nonetheless it'd be really helpful :)
          >
          > As requested
          >
          > [1] ./configure arguments
          >
          > #!/bin/sh
          >
          > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk --with-features=huge --with-compiledby=sean@darkstar --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --enable-cscope
          >
          > [2] output from configure

          (It's probably not the issue but nonetheless a good idea to
          rm src/auto/config.cache before reconfiguring. Just in case.)

          [...]

          > [3] output from :version
          >
          > :version
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 3 2003 21:28:11)
          > Included patches: 1-290

          [...]

          > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
          > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X
          > 11R6/include -I/usr/include/python2.2 -pthread -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux

          That's fine, -pthread is there.

          > Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/
          > X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ld
          > l -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -Xlinker -export-dyna
          > mic /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/libruby.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm

          There's the bugger: -lpthread should not be there. Do

          rm src/vim
          rm src/src/auto/link.sed

          and try again. link.sh should print messages like "Trying to remove the
          pthread library..." and either "we don't need the pthread library!" or
          "we DO need the pthread library". Hopefully the first.

          With some luck you just had a stale link.sed in the tree, otherwise this
          will need further investigation. Please mail me your results in either
          case :)

          Thanks,
          --Daniel
        • Sean Richards
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003
            Daniel Elstner wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > thanks a lot for the feedback. It turned out to be indeed helpful, see
            > below.

            > > [3] output from :version
            > >
            > > :version
            > > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 3 2003 21:28:11)
            > > Included patches: 1-290
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
            > > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X
            > > 11R6/include -I/usr/include/python2.2 -pthread -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux
            >
            > That's fine, -pthread is there.
            >
            > > Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/
            > > X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ld
            > > l -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -Xlinker -export-dyna
            > > mic /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/libruby.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm
            >
            > There's the bugger: -lpthread should not be there. Do
            >
            > rm src/vim
            > rm src/src/auto/link.sed

            I had already done a 'make clean' so that should have been taken care
            of.

            > and try again. link.sh should print messages like "Trying to remove the
            > pthread library..." and either "we don't need the pthread library!" or
            > "we DO need the pthread library". Hopefully the first.

            I am sad to report that the output from link.sh includes the lines ...

            link.sh: Trying to remove the pthread library...
            link.sh: We DO need the pthread library.

            > With some luck you just had a stale link.sed in the tree, otherwise this
            > will need further investigation. Please mail me your results in either
            > case :)

            Cheers, Sean :)

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003
              Hey,

              I found some interesting information on the issue. This Debian bug
              report explains what's going on:

              http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2002/debian-glibc-200212/msg00347.html

              As mentioned in the mail, the problem with coroutines also applies to
              sigaltstack(). There seems to be only one way around the problem:
              simply don't use sigaltstack().

              The attached patch disables the alternative stack if compiling on Linux
              with pthreads, except for SIGSEGV. This is AFAIK the only signal for
              which the alternative stack is really necessary. Thus there shouldn't
              be a regression in functionality when switching to fixed-up pthreads
              some day.

              Regards,
              --Daniel