help on help windows

  • Payal Rathod
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      A question on help windows.
      When someone tells me to refer to help I do,

      :help <topic>

      and a help window pops up. I covers almost 4/5 of my screen. Now I want
      to read a part of help and switch back to full mode of my orginal window
      to try help. I do not want to :q the help cos' I might require it. Just
      switch the windows.
      One solution is I make 2 windows half the screen and use ctrl-w to
      switch between them. But I want to switch to original window with full
      screen. Any ways to do this?

      Thanks a lot and bye.
      With regards,
      -Payal

      --
      "Visit GNU/Linux Success Stories"
      www.geocities.com/rpayal99
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        On 2003-03-01, Payal Rathod <payal@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > A question on help windows.
        > When someone tells me to refer to help I do,
        >
        > :help <topic>
        >
        > and a help window pops up. I covers almost 4/5 of my screen. Now I want
        > to read a part of help and switch back to full mode of my orginal window
        > to try help. I do not want to :q the help cos' I might require it. Just
        > switch the windows.
        > One solution is I make 2 windows half the screen and use ctrl-w to
        > switch between them. But I want to switch to original window with full
        > screen. Any ways to do this?

        I don't know how to make the original window completely full screen,
        but typing

        CTRL-W _

        in the original window will make it as large as possible. Putting
        this in your .vimrc will make that a little larger than the default
        largest size:

        set winminheight=0 " Allow collapsing windows to 0 lines.

        Somebody, Charles Campbell I think, has a script at vim online that
        allows you make one window full screen (or almost), then restore the
        original window sizes.

        HTH,
        Gary

        --
        Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
        garyjohn@... | Spokane, Washington, USA
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
          > When someone tells me to refer to help I do,
          >
          > :help <topic>
          >
          > and a help window pops up. I covers almost 4/5 of my screen. Now I want
          > to read a part of help and switch back to full mode of my orginal window
          > to try help. I do not want to :q the help cos' I might require it. Just
          > switch the windows.
          > One solution is I make 2 windows half the screen and use ctrl-w to
          > switch between them. But I want to switch to original window with full
          > screen. Any ways to do this?
          >
          > Thanks a lot and bye.
          > With regards,
          > -Payal
          >

          > --
          > "Visit GNU/Linux Success Stories"
          > www.geocities.com/rpayal99
          > Guest-Book Section Updated.

          Ctrl-W _
          will make the current window as large as possible
          Ctrl-W =
          will make all windows the same size again
          Dragging a status line with the mouse will alter the sizes of the two
          neighbouring windows. If the one being reduced is already at its smallest
          size, vim will try to reduce the one(s) immediately farther than it, if any.
          So (for instance) pushing one status line all the way to the bottom will
          reduce all windows lower than it to their smallest size.

          A few options (there are others):
          * 'winminheight' defines the minimum height of a window (not counting
          the window's status line). The default is 1 (at least one screenline of data
          visible). Setting this option to zero (:set wmh=0) allows inactive windows
          to be reduced to only a status line. The currently active window, however,
          will always show at least the screenline the cursor is on.
          * 'helpheight' defines the size of the help window when a :help
          command opens it. Setting this to a very large number (for instance, :set
          hh=999) makes the help window as big as possible, reducing all other windows
          to the 'winminheight'.
          * 'equalalways' makes all windows the same size. Some operations,
          such as changing the number of windows with :new or :quit, will have the
          same effect as if they had been followed by Ctrl-W = (However, it is still
          possible to manually make the windows temporarily unequal, for instance by
          Ctrl-W _ or by dragging status lines with the mouse).

          HTH,