doing several diffs successively

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003

      I am merging some code from a project that has forked, and I have
      trouble editing several diff files. More precisely, here is what
      happens:

      - I open gvim, diffsplit my first file, everything works fine
      - I :e the next file, to diffsplit it, and the whole file is marked as
      changed. I tried doing a :set nodiff before opening it again, to no
      avail. The only solution I have found is quitting and restarting vim.

      Is there a more efficient solution for successively diffing several
      files ?

      Thanks,

      Alan Schmitt

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
    • Todd Musall
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        Alan,

        Try dirdiff.vim from the vim.org site. I use it all the time to diff
        multiple files/directories. It works great!

        -Todd

        On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 11:50, Alan Schmitt wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am merging some code from a project that has forked, and I have
        > trouble editing several diff files. More precisely, here is what
        > happens:
        >
        > - I open gvim, diffsplit my first file, everything works fine
        > - I :e the next file, to diffsplit it, and the whole file is marked as
        > changed. I tried doing a :set nodiff before opening it again, to no
        > avail. The only solution I have found is quitting and restarting vim.
        >
        > Is there a more efficient solution for successively diffing several
        > files ?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alan Schmitt
        >
        > --
        > The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
          On 2003-03-01, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am merging some code from a project that has forked, and I have
          > trouble editing several diff files. More precisely, here is what
          > happens:
          >
          > - I open gvim, diffsplit my first file, everything works fine
          > - I :e the next file, to diffsplit it, and the whole file is marked as
          > changed. I tried doing a :set nodiff before opening it again, to no
          > avail. The only solution I have found is quitting and restarting vim.
          >
          > Is there a more efficient solution for successively diffing several
          > files ?

          Try executing

          :diffthis

          in the window containing the next file. Also, this may be overkill,
          but when my diff'd windows get out of sync, I execute

          :windo diffu

          and that seems to fix things.

          HTH,
          Gary