MDK 8.2 compilation errors -- missing headers

  • Jeffery Cann
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
      Greetings,

      I am compiling this version of Vim in hopes of getting it to work in the
      NetBeans IDE <http://externaleditor.netbeans.org/>. I am compiling on
      Mandrake 8.2 and it appears that I am missing some system include files:

      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
      -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2
      -I/usr/openwin/include -o objects/os_unix.o os_unix.c
      In file included from os_unix.c:34:
      os_unixx.h:79:25: sys/stream.h: No such file or directory
      In file included from os_unix.c:34:
      os_unixx.h:95:50: sys/systeminfo.h: No such file or directory
      In file included from os_unix.c:34:
      os_unixx.h:117:64: sys/ptem.h: No such file or directory
      os_unix.c:2150:23: sys/acl.h: No such file or directory

      I have searched rather high and low not only on the system (e.g., $ find /
      -name systeminfo.h) but through other RPM packages distributed with MDK. At
      this point, I am stumped because the files are not installed on my system and
      I seem to have all of the gcc packages (2.96)

      BTW, my configuration was generated from this command:

      # ./configure --enable-netbeans

      The configure did not report any errors, so I was surprized that the
      compilation fails. I appreciate any suggestions.

      Jeff

      --
      planet earth (tm)
      http://jefferycann.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
        On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:39:00PM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > I am compiling this version of Vim in hopes of getting it to work in the
        > NetBeans IDE <http://externaleditor.netbeans.org/>. I am compiling on
        > Mandrake 8.2 and it appears that I am missing some system include files:
        > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
        > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2
        > -I/usr/openwin/include -o objects/os_unix.o os_unix.c
        > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
        > os_unixx.h:79:25: sys/stream.h: No such file or directory
        > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
        > os_unixx.h:95:50: sys/systeminfo.h: No such file or directory
        > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
        > os_unixx.h:117:64: sys/ptem.h: No such file or directory
        > os_unix.c:2150:23: sys/acl.h: No such file or directory

        files 1,2 are in kernel-headers package
        4 is in libacl1-devel
        ptem.h is not available :(

        All data is for Mdk9

        > I have searched rather high and low not only on the system (e.g., $ find /
        > -name systeminfo.h) but through other RPM packages distributed with MDK. At
        > this point, I am stumped because the files are not installed on my system and
        > I seem to have all of the gcc packages (2.96)

        I don't remember if this is in Mdk8.2 but if is use urpmf and/or urpmi.

        Mikolaj
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
          Jeffery Cann wrote:

          > I am compiling this version of Vim in hopes of getting it to work in the
          > NetBeans IDE <http://externaleditor.netbeans.org/>. I am compiling on
          > Mandrake 8.2 and it appears that I am missing some system include files:
          >
          > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
          > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2
          > -I/usr/openwin/include -o objects/os_unix.o os_unix.c
          > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
          > os_unixx.h:79:25: sys/stream.h: No such file or directory
          > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
          > os_unixx.h:95:50: sys/systeminfo.h: No such file or directory
          > In file included from os_unix.c:34:
          > os_unixx.h:117:64: sys/ptem.h: No such file or directory
          > os_unix.c:2150:23: sys/acl.h: No such file or directory

          Strange, configure should have noticed that these files do not exist.
          Perhaps you need to do "make distclean" first.

          I am currently working on the netbeans interface for A-A-P. I have not
          released the patch yet, because I'm extending the interface and fixing
          problems. But if you would like to try the current version, I can send
          you a big patch.

          --
          Every exit is an entrance into something else.

        • Jeffery Cann
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
            On Friday 28 February 2003 03:21 am, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
            > files 1,2 are in kernel-headers package

            Hi,

            Which version of this package to you have? I do have it installed on my 8.2
            server and a 9.0 laptop. I checked on MDK 8.2 and 9.0 and these files are
            not in my packages:

            8.2 - $ rpm -ql kernel-headers-2.4.18-26.1mdk | grep systeminfo.h
            9.0 - $ rpm -ql kernel-headers-2.4.18-41mdk | grep systeminfo.h

            Thanks!

            --
            planet earth (tm)
            http://jefferycann.com/
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
              On Friday 28 February 2003 04:02 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Strange, configure should have noticed that these files do not exist.
              > Perhaps you need to do "make distclean" first.

              It's interesting because I thought the same thing - maybe the version I
              downloaded has a config.cache file. So, I did try a make distclean and then
              configure:

              $ ./configure --enable-netbeans

              It looks like the distclean rule in this version of the vim makefile removes
              the 'auto/config.cache', but there is another src/config.cache which is
              being detected by configure (check the find output below).

              Not sure if this is still a bug. I can check in the latest development
              version if you want. Nevertheless, it looks like the vim source archive I
              downloaded from NetBeans contains this src/config.cache which isn't removed
              during distclean. I'll contact the NetBeans folks and let them know to save
              future grief until vim 6.2 - they'll need to fix the makefile for that vim
              source version available on:
              + http://externaleditor.netbeans.org/servlets/ProjectDownloadList

              One other (final?) question. During the final linking of vim (gcc
              -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim), I received a single undefined
              reference:

              objects/buffer.o: In function `buf_signcount':
              /usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src/buffer.c:4529: undefined reference to
              `sign_get_image'
              collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

              Any quick suggestions on this? I can research it more later today (must leave
              for work!).

              Thank you for the help!

              Jeff

              ---------------- make distclean output -------------------------------
              $ make distclean
              Starting make in the src directory.
              If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
              cd src && make distclean
              make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src'
              rm -f testdir/*.out testdir/test.log
              rm -f *.o objects/* core vim.core vim xxd/*.o
              rm -f xxd/xxd auto/osdef.h auto/pathdef.c auto/if_perl.c
              rm -f conftest* *~ auto/link.sed
              if test -d po; then \
              cd po; make prefix=/usr/local clean; \
              fi
              make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src/po'
              rm -f core core.* *.old.po *.mo *.pot sjiscorr
              make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src/po'
              rm -f auto/config.status auto/config.cache config.log auto/config.log
              rm -f auto/config.h auto/link.log auto/link.sed auto/config.mk
              touch auto/config.h
              cp config.mk.dist auto/config.mk
              rm -f tags
              make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src'

              $ find . -name config.cache
              ./src/config.cache
              ------------------- make distclean -------------

              --
              planet earth (tm)
              http://jefferycann.com/
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
                On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:15:44AM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:
                > On Friday 28 February 2003 03:21 am, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
                > > files 1,2 are in kernel-headers package
                > Hi,
                > Which version of this package to you have? I do have it installed on my 8.2
                > server and a 9.0 laptop. I checked on MDK 8.2 and 9.0 and these files are
                > not in my packages:
                > 8.2 - $ rpm -ql kernel-headers-2.4.18-26.1mdk | grep systeminfo.h
                > 9.0 - $ rpm -ql kernel-headers-2.4.18-41mdk | grep systeminfo.h
                > Thanks!

                Oops. Sorry. kernel-source :(

                m.
                Learn Touch Typing with Vim:
                http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
              • Jeffery Cann
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2003
                  On Friday 28 February 2003 06:52 am, Jeffery Cann wrote:
                  > One other (final?) question. During the final linking of vim (gcc
                  > -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim), I received a single undefined
                  > reference:
                  >
                  > objects/buffer.o: In function `buf_signcount':
                  > /usr/src/vim-6.1.263/src/buffer.c:4529: undefined reference to
                  > `sign_get_image'
                  > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                  >
                  > Any quick suggestions on this? I can research it more later today (must
                  > leave for work!).

                  As a follow-up for future readers, I had to add the following to the
                  auto/config.h to get this to work:

                  #define FEAT_SIGN_ICONS 1

                  Then do a 'make clean' and 'make' and it will build. Thanks to Bram for the
                  pointer to ex_cmds.c which contains the sign_get_image() function.

                  Jeff

                  --
                  planet earth (tm)
                  http://jefferycann.com/