Re: Installation problem

  • W. Jeffrey Rankin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2003
      On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Ross A. Osborn wrote:

      > On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:53:36PM -0500, Milo Bloom wrote:
      > > The default version of VIM where I work is 5.7.2. The IT department
      > > here is years behind in updating software, so I figure I should get
      > > vim 6.1 around February of 2005. Not wanting to wait that long I
      > > tried compiling the source myself. The source compiles fine and when
      > > I run VIM from the src directory it's fine. However, after installing
      > > it to my ~/usr directory I get the following error:
      > >
      > > vim: Cannot find ELF Killed
      > >
      > > The only thing I can think of is that VIM is somehow interacting with
      > > the previously installed version. Can anyone confirm this and/or
      > > suggest a solution?
      > >

      > Someone else will probably give a better answer than me but I just had
      > to try and help someone with a Bloom County reference for a username.
      >
      > When you ran ./configure did you give the --prefix argument to tell it
      > where you intended to install it. It sounds like your configure command
      > should have been something like this:
      >
      > $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr
      >
      > Follow this up with:
      >
      > $ make
      > $ make install
      >

      > Then make sure that ~/usr/bin is in your PATH ahead of the other
      > location of vim.
      >

      > Ross

      Hi:

      I had a similar problem on Solaris 9. Colin Keith kindly gave me the
      following instructions, which solved the problem:

      "Seems to be that you've been using GNU strip, not solaris' strip and
      you've taken out too many/the wrong symbols. Put /usr/ccs/bin on your path
      before wherever you have GNU strip and rebuild. That's meant to help."

      Perhaps you have an analogous problem?

      Sincerely,
      W. Jeffrey Rankin
      Lead Web Application Developer