:make % for tex-files

  • c.lina@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hi,

      when I compile a tex-file, e.g. Trans.tex from within vim with :make % and then hit ENTER as I am asked by "Hit EENTER or type command to continue" the file Trans.aux is diplayed in the vim window.
      What is strange is that this doesn't happen with another file, say test.tex. Here I return to test.tex after hitting ENTER, as I would like to.

      Any hints why one file behaves as I want to and the other doesn't?

      Thanks in advance,
      Catherine.
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2003
        c.lina@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > when I compile a tex-file, e.g. Trans.tex from within vim with :make % and
        > then hit ENTER as I am asked by "Hit EENTER or type command to continue" the
        > file Trans.aux is diplayed in the vim window. What is strange is that this
        > doesn't happen with another file, say test.tex. Here I return to test.tex
        > after hitting ENTER, as I would like to.
        >
        > Any hints why one file behaves as I want to and the other doesn't?

        Are you in the directory of the file you are editing in both cases?

        :pwd

        What are you using to compile?

        :set makeprg?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • c.lina@gmx.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2003
          > c.lina@... wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> when I compile a tex-file, e.g. Trans.tex from within vim with :make % and
          >> then hit ENTER as I am asked by "Hit EENTER or type command to continue" the
          >> file Trans.aux is diplayed in the vim window. What is strange is that this
          >> doesn't happen with another file, say test.tex. Here I return to test.tex
          >> after hitting ENTER, as I would like to.
          >>
          >> Any hints why one file behaves as I want to and the other doesn't?
          >
          > Are you in the directory of the file you are editing in both cases?

          Yes, I am.

          > What are you using to compile?
          >
          > :set makeprg?

          makeprg=latex \\nonstopmode \\input\{*\}

          The tex-file is compiled correctly.
          I think a multiply defined label is to blame. In the quickfix window the line

          ./Trans.aux|| Label `eq:34' multiply defined.

          is highlighted. All other lines start either with || or the filename.
          And that's the reason why this behaviour did not occure when I copy and pasted the contents of the file to another one and compiled it for the first time, because there the .aux file which contains the informations about labels and so on did not yet exist.
          Having deleted one of the doubly defined label everything worked again as I wanted it to.

          Is there a way to avoid this behaviour?

          Thanks, Catherine.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
            Benji Fisher wrote:
            > c.lina@... wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > when I compile a tex-file, e.g. Trans.tex from within vim with :make
            > % and
            > > then hit ENTER as I am asked by "Hit EENTER or type command to
            > continue" the
            > > file Trans.aux is diplayed in the vim window. What is strange is that
            > this
            > > doesn't happen with another file, say test.tex. Here I return to
            > test.tex
            > > after hitting ENTER, as I would like to.
            > >
            > > Any hints why one file behaves as I want to and the other doesn't?
            >
            > Are you in the directory of the file you are editing in both cases?
            >
            > :pwd
            >
            > What are you using to compile?
            >
            > :set makeprg?

            > makeprg=latex \\nonstopmode \\input\{*\}
            >

            > The tex-file is compiled correctly.
            > I think a multiply defined label is to blame. In the quickfix window the line
            >
            > ./Trans.aux|| Label `eq:34' multiply defined.
            >
            > is highlighted. All other lines start either with || or the filename.
            > And that's the reason why this behaviour did not occure when I copy and pasted the contents of the file to another one and compiled it for the first time, because there the .aux file which contains the informations about labels and so on did not yet exist.
            > Having deleted one of the doubly defined label everything worked again as I wanted it to.
            >
            > Is there a way to avoid this behaviour?

            It looks as though you are using LaTeX suite, so I am forwarding this to
            the vim-latex mailing list. I am not sure whether this is the intended
            behavior. If the only error in your file is a multiply-defined label (or,
            presumably, something else that tex finds in your .aux file) then LaTeX suite
            seems to take you there.

            HTH --Benji Fisher