Path too long?

  • jww@harrier.ch
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
      When I attempt to open a file via the context menu,
      the error dialog:

      gvimext.dll
      "Pfad-L�nge zu lang" (Path length too long)

      appears and Vim is not started. Logically, this only
      happens for rather long paths.

      I presume I'm missing an environment setting, however
      I've searched thru the WWW and Vim docs I can find and
      there seems to be no mention of this.

      Environment:
      MS-Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP2
      Vim 6.1 2002 Mar 24 16:04:44

      Any tips to eliminate this problem appreciated.

      JW
    • BStrohhaecker@Hueller-Hille.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
        > When I attempt to open a file via the context menu,
        > the error dialog:
        >
        > gvimext.dll
        > "Pfad-Lange zu lang" (Path length too long)
        >
        > appears and Vim is not started. Logically, this only
        > happens for rather long paths.
        >
        > I presume I'm missing an environment setting, however
        > I've searched thru the WWW and Vim docs I can find and
        > there seems to be no mention of this.
        >
        > Environment:
        > MS-Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP2
        > Vim 6.1 2002 Mar 24 16:04:44
        >
        > Any tips to eliminate this problem appreciated.
        >

        > JW

        AFAIK there exists no such setting.

        Why do you not map a part of your (long) path to a new drive-letter ?
        Try (in cmd.exe):

        Subst y: "d:\a_very_long_path_with blanks" or - better -

        net use y: "\\myComputer\d$\a_very_long_path"

        See 'subst /?' rsp. 'net help use'

        Bernd
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
          JW wrote:

          > When I attempt to open a file via the context menu,
          > the error dialog:
          >
          > gvimext.dll
          > "Pfad-Länge zu lang" (Path length too long)
          >
          > appears and Vim is not started. Logically, this only
          > happens for rather long paths.
          >
          > I presume I'm missing an environment setting, however
          > I've searched thru the WWW and Vim docs I can find and
          > there seems to be no mention of this.
          >
          > Environment:
          > MS-Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP2
          > Vim 6.1 2002 Mar 24 16:04:44
          >
          > Any tips to eliminate this problem appreciated.

          Vim uses MAX_PATH, which should be the maximum path length that the
          system supports. It should be at least 256 characters (it depends on
          the compiler used). Is your path longer than that? If not there might
          be something wrong with the gvimext.dll.

          --
          MONK: ... and the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin,
          then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the