Win32 vim and split-open

  • Sam Carleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
      >From the file menu of the Windows gvim, one is able to do a
      split-open that pops up a file open dialog box. Is there any easy
      way to make this happen from the : prompt? How can I get a
      vsplit-open that pops up a dialog box?

      There is also a "Split File Explorer" option under the Windwos menu,
      how would I go about doing that from the : prompt? I believe this
      would be very useful when working in UNIX:)

      Sam
    • Jürgen Krämer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
        Hi,

        Sam Carleton wrote:
        >>From the file menu of the Windows gvim, one is able to do a
        > split-open that pops up a file open dialog box. Is there any easy
        > way to make this happen from the : prompt?

        :browse split

        > How can I get a
        > vsplit-open that pops up a dialog box?

        :vert browse split

        > There is also a "Split File Explorer" option under the Windwos menu,
        > how would I go about doing that from the : prompt? I believe this
        > would be very useful when working in UNIX:)

        Do you mean something like

        :split .

        which opens the file explorer in the current directory?

        Regards,
        Jürgen

        --
        Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung
        Habel GmbH mailto:jkraemer@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
          Sam Carleton wrote:
          > From the file menu of the Windows gvim, one is able to do a
          > split-open that pops up a file open dialog box. Is there any easy
          > way to make this happen from the : prompt?

          :browse sp

          > How can I get a vsplit-open that pops up a dialog box?

          :browse vertical sp

          > There is also a "Split File Explorer" option under the Windwos menu,
          > how would I go about doing that from the : prompt? I believe this
          > would be very useful when working in UNIX:)

          If you have the menus displayed, then use
          :call MenuExplOpen()

          You can find all these commands in vim\vim61\menu.vim where the menus
          are defined. For the first two you should be able to see the command in
          the command line while the browse dialog is displayed. You will have to
          copy the MenuExplOpen() function into your .vimrc if you want to use it
          in the console Vim or in gVim when you don't use menus.

          Dan Sharp