apply to a section II

  • Payal Rathod
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
      I am still not able to apply external commands forget to a section but
      not even the whole document. Someone please tell me what to do?

      I will give an example to be more precise.

      $ vi sample.dat
      PAYAL rathod does not understand Vim. But she hope to. - PAYAL

      Now I want to apply this command on the file,
      sed 's/PAYAL/Payal/g'

      How do I go about this *exactly*?

      Regards,
      -Payal

      --
      "Visit Linux Success Stories"
      www.geocities.com/rpayal99
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
        On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:33:04PM +0530, Payal Rathod wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am still not able to apply external commands forget to a section but
        > not even the whole document. Someone please tell me what to do?
        >
        > I will give an example to be more precise.
        >
        > $ vi sample.dat
        > PAYAL rathod does not understand Vim. But she hope to. - PAYAL
        >
        > Now I want to apply this command on the file,
        > sed 's/PAYAL/Payal/g'
        >
        > How do I go about this *exactly*?

        :%!sed 's/PAYAL/Payal/g'

        Ross
      • BStrohhaecker@Hueller-Hille.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
          > I am still not able to apply external commands forget to a section but
          > not even the whole document. Someone please tell me what to do?
          >
          > I will give an example to be more precise.
          >
          > $ vi sample.dat
          > PAYAL rathod does not understand Vim. But she hope to. - PAYAL
          >
          > Now I want to apply this command on the file,
          > sed 's/PAYAL/Payal/g'
          >
          > How do I go about this *exactly*?

          With vis.vim try using double quotes:

          :'<,'>B !sed "s/PAYAL/Payal/g"