Re: New gvim instance

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > Yiu Wing <yiuwing.yip@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > Is there a command to start a new instance of gvim aside from
      > > > something like ":!gvim"? (Trying to avoid the shell window.)
      > > > Can't seem to find anything helpful at :help remote.
      > >
      > > On Windows, "!start gvim" works as what you expect.
      >
      > This, IIUC, works for starting an additional instance of gvim if
      > there already is one.
      >
      > For the 1st instance, this is what I recommend:

      Woops, sorry not to have been clear Tony, I did mean from *within*
      Vim. However the first solution still opens a command window. (I would
      expect any :![command] to.) I thought maybe there was some command I
      was overlooking that could avoid this.

      Steve Hall [ digSitPecAt@... (remove "SPAMFREE") ]
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > Woops, sorry not to have been clear Tony, I did mean from *within*
        > Vim. However the first solution still opens a command window. (I would
        > expect any :![command] to.) I thought maybe there was some command I
        > was overlooking that could avoid this.
        >

        > Steve Hall [ digSitPecAt@... (remove "SPAMFREE") ]

        Not sure if possible; but the workaround I sent should be adaptable to this
        case too. (Dos box does open but so small and closes so fast that it's not
        much trouble.) (:!start the .bat or .pif since you prob'ly don't wanna set
        these settings as Command Window Defaults.)