WinXP right-click edit menu

  • digitect@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
      A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
      menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file that
      does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either. Help!

      Steve Hall [ digitec__ndspring.com (insert "t@mi") ]
    • Colin Keith
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:48:30AM -0500, digitect@... wrote:
        > A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
        > menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file that
        > does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either. Help!

        --- [cut here] ---
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim]
        @="{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}"

        --- [end here] ---

        Copy into a .reg file and run to install in the registry.

        At least it is for me :-)

        Col.

        --
        The next time you moan about spam, remember its there because; YOU "just hit
        delete", YOU won't report the offense, YOU don't demand new laws, YOU buy
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
          >From: digitect@...
          >
          >A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
          >menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file that
          >does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either. Help!

          If you run install.exe, then menu option 13 should be what you want:

          13 Install an entry for Vim in the popup menu for the right
          mouse button so that you can edit any file with Vim

          Dan Sharp

        • digitect@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
            on 2/3/2003 10:18 AM Colin Keith said the following:
            > On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:48:30AM -0500, digitect@... wrote:
            >
            > > A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
            > > menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file
            > > that does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either.
            >
            > --- [cut here] ---
            > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
            >
            > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim]
            > @="{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}"
            >
            > --- [end here] ---
            >
            > Copy into a .reg file and run to install in the registry.
            >
            > At least it is for me :-)

            This works for unassociated MIME types, but not for associated ones,
            such as .BAT. Hmm...

            Steve Hall [ {digitect}(A){mindspring}*{com} ]
          • digitect@mindspring.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
              From: Dan Sharp, 02/03/03 10:49 AM

              > From: digitect@...
              > >
              > > A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
              > > menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file
              > > that does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either.
              >
              > If you run install.exe, then menu option 13 should be what you want:
              >
              > 13 Install an entry for Vim in the popup menu for the right
              > mouse button so that you can edit any file with Vim

              I don't get that option!

              Ok, Vim re-install from standard 6.1.0 distribution. Doesn't work.

              Complete uninstall, then re-install--works!

              <sigh> Not sure what was going on, guess it was a local problem. Sorry
              for wasting the bandwidth.

              Steve Hall [ digSitPecAt@... (remove "SPAMFREE") ]
            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                digitect@... wrote:
                > From: Dan Sharp, 02/03/03 10:49 AM
                > >
                > > From: digitect@...
                > > >
                > > > A recent update to Windows XP has removed my "right click to edit"
                > > > menu item for gvim. But I can't seem to find the installer file
                > > > that does this and install.exe doesn't present the option either.
                > >
                > > If you run install.exe, then menu option 13 should be what you want:
                > >
                > > 13 Install an entry for Vim in the popup menu for the right
                > > mouse button so that you can edit any file with Vim
                >
                > I don't get that option!
                >
                > Ok, Vim re-install from standard 6.1.0 distribution. Doesn't work.
                >
                > Complete uninstall, then re-install--works!
                >
                > <sigh> Not sure what was going on, guess it was a local problem. Sorry
                > for wasting the bandwidth.
                >

                > Steve Hall [ digSitPecAt@... (remove "SPAMFREE") ]

                Under Win98 I have a folder C:\WINDOWS\SendTo where I can put shortcuts for
                any program that I want to see in the SendTo submenu after right-clicking a
                file. Maybe XP has something similar?

                Tony.
              • Steve Hall
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                  > digitect@... wrote:
                  > > From: Dan Sharp, 02/03/03 10:49 AM
                  > > > From: digitect@...

                  > > > If you run install.exe, then menu option 13 should be what you want:
                  > > >
                  > > > 13 Install an entry for Vim in the popup menu for the right
                  > > > mouse button so that you can edit any file with Vim
                  > >
                  > > I don't get that option!
                  > >
                  > > Ok, Vim re-install from standard 6.1.0 distribution. Doesn't work.
                  > >
                  > > Complete uninstall, then re-install--works!
                  >
                  > Under Win98 I have a folder C:\WINDOWS\SendTo where I can put
                  > shortcuts for any program that I want to see in the SendTo submenu
                  > after right-clicking a file. Maybe XP has something similar?

                  It does, and I almost remarked about this except that it is far from
                  the convenient right-click,V I enjoy. (The SendTo key character is
                  "N", which is right hand, same as my mouse. ;)

                  A reinstall finally fixed it as I mentioned, but I don't understand
                  how it worked. Didn't find "Edit with Vim" anywhere in the registry,
                  or a Tip at VimOnline. The source code's GvimExt folder implies
                  gvimext.dll is somehow involved, but I can't figure.

                  If somebody can clue me, I'll write a Tip that also links the other
                  reg-manipulating tips for viewing source in IE, opening
                  non-associateds, etc.

                • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                    Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:
                    > Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                    [...]
                    > > Under Win98 I have a folder C:\WINDOWS\SendTo where I can put
                    > > shortcuts for any program that I want to see in the SendTo submenu
                    > > after right-clicking a file. Maybe XP has something similar?
                    >
                    > It does, and I almost remarked about this except that it is far from
                    > the convenient right-click,V I enjoy. (The SendTo key character is
                    > "N", which is right hand, same as my mouse. ;)

                    Right-click - move mouse pointer SendTo submenu header - submenu opens -
                    move pointer to vim entry in submenu - left-click.

                    Of course if gvim appears in the "main" right-click menu it's quicker to use
                    that. (right-click - move mouse pointer to "Edit with vim" - left-click --
                    or with both hands as you seem to be doing)

                    > A reinstall finally fixed it as I mentioned, but I don't understand
                    > how it worked. Didn't find "Edit with Vim" anywhere in the registry,
                    > or a Tip at VimOnline. The source code's GvimExt folder implies
                    > gvimext.dll is somehow involved, but I can't figure.

                    Apparently every instance of gvim (+ole if it makes any difference -- and I
                    don't use console vim on M$W) adds an entry "Edit with existing vim", but
                    all af those, incl. the always-present "Edit with vim" appear only for some
                    files (including .bat or .lnk but not .pif or directories). The SendTo
                    mechanism is much more unsubtle. It will even work with a binary executable
                    (but be sure you know what you're doing if you want to alter the binary and
                    save it).

                    Tony.

                    > If somebody can clue me, I'll write a Tip that also links the other
                    > reg-manipulating tips for viewing source in IE, opening
                    > non-associateds, etc.

                  • Colin Keith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                      On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:06:58AM -0500, Steve Hall wrote:
                      > If somebody can clue me, I'll write a Tip that also links the other
                      > reg-manipulating tips for viewing source in IE, opening
                      > non-associateds, etc.

                      I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, and I don't know the exact
                      details, but from poking around in the registry for years the way I
                      understand it works is that you register your DLL with the system by giving
                      it a class ID (CLSID) (HKCR\CLSID) This ID then stores info about the
                      executable (dll's are exe's) you want to call. If you look for
                      HKCR\CLSID\{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99} you'll see it refers to
                      the gvimext.dll.

                      This CLSID is then registered with the file type to say it handles certain
                      things. ContextMenuHandlers handle right clicks, PropertySheetHandlers when
                      you bring up the properties (oddly enough ;-) so when you
                      right-click Windows gets a list of the dll's for that extension, (and the
                      default type) and as far as I can see, loads them and asks if they'll
                      handle that file type. If they do they appear on your context-menu.

                      I assume that it queries all the dll's because if you right-click on a
                      self-extracting .exe file you get winzip "Extract .. " options, but if you
                      click on just a program .exe you get "add to zip" options.

                      The Vim OLE support is handled by registering another CLSID for the
                      gvim.exe {0F0BFAE1-4C90-11D1-82D7-0004AC368519}. This points to
                      Vim.Application which points to Vim.Application.1 so you can increment the
                      OLE app version without forcing everyone to rebuild their apps.

                      Personally I always just plonk the vim context-menu handler into the
                      extension * so Vim is always on the context menu. But then I also set to
                      default action for the "Unknown" class of files. That means I can download
                      scripts from the servers at work (where I rarely bother to give them file
                      extensions) and open it in Vim :)

                      For that:

                      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\open\command]
                      @="C:\\Vim\\vim61\\gvim.exe \"%1\""

                      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim]
                      @="{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}"

                      Oh and as for the "Edit with Vim" Its not in the registry, its in the DLL.
                      gvim c:\vim\vim61\gvimext.dll /Edit with

                      Its in the text segment at the end of the DLL

                      Not much for tip help, but, it might be of some use to you :)

                      Oh, and I'd just like to say that I may be up at 1am coding, but thanks to
                      Vim its a lot easier on the eyes and to work with :-)

                      --
                      The next time you moan about spam, remember its there because; YOU "just hit
                      delete", YOU won't report the offense, YOU don't demand new laws, YOU buy
                      "better spam filtering technology" from the same company whose software is
                      run on most open mail relays/proxies. So YOU helped waste US$89b last year.
                    • Pritesh Mistry
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                        Do we really need to use gvimext.dll for this, can we not simply do with the
                        following, it works beautifully for me!

                        -x-x-
                        REGEDIT4

                        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\GVim\Command]
                        @="gvim.exe \"%1\""

                        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\GVim]
                        @="&Vim-It"
                        -x-x-

                        Rgds,
                        Pritesh

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                          Another quick one I just discovered, if you have to suffer using IE you
                          can change the View Source Editor using:

                          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]
                          @=""
                          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]
                          @="c:\\vim\\vim61\\gvim.exe"

                          It'll need a _vimrc tweak to set syntax highlighting to html for everything
                          in "Temporary Internet Files" (or wherever you choose to store the temp
                          files) as half of them open without extensions so Vim can't apply syntax
                          highlighting.

                          Could be useful though. I might force this one someone at work to see what
                          the reaction would be :) They like the fact that Vim can do anything they
                          want, but everyone else has been too heavily programmed to break out.
                          Everytime I turn my back they slip back to using Notepad :-)
                        • Colin Keith
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
                            On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:46:16AM +0530, Pritesh Mistry wrote:
                            > Do we really need to use gvimext.dll for this, can we not simply do with the
                            > following, it works beautifully for me!

                            The context menu gives you more than just one choice to open the current
                            file with vim though. You can open the file in an existing window, choose a
                            new one, etc. Your entries automatically opens the file in a new Window.

                            Personally, I have my default actions setup similar to yours, but I think
                            context menus are the "proper way" to do it :)

                            Col. (dammit, should be wokring, not posting :-)
                          • Dan Sharp
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2003
                              >From: Colin Keith <vim@...>
                              >
                              >On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:46:16AM +0530, Pritesh Mistry wrote:
                              >>Do we really need to use gvimext.dll for this, can we not simply do
                              >>with the following, it works beautifully for me!
                              >
                              >The context menu gives you more than just one choice to open the
                              >current file with vim though. You can open the file in an existing
                              >window, choose a new one, etc. Your entries automatically opens the
                              >file in a new Window.

                              Also, as of patch 6.1.149, you can automatically select 2-4 files and open
                              them in diff mode with the "Diff with Vim" option. Really nice for quickly
                              comparing different versions of a file.

                              Dan Sharp

                            • Dan Sharp
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 4, 2003

                              • vim@cox.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 4, 2003

                                  I don't seem to have this feature even though I'm running 6.1.284. I can see "Edit with multiple Vims", and "Edit with single Vim", but not "Diff with Vim". Am I missing anything?

                                  This would be one of the features I've been craving for. 8-)

                                  -J.X.

                                  > Dan Sharp

                                • Dan Sharp
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 4, 2003
                                    >From: <vim@...>
                                    >
                                    > > Also, as of patch 6.1.149, you can automatically select 2-4
                                    > > files and open
                                    > > them in diff mode with the "Diff with Vim" option. Really
                                    > > nice for quickly
                                    > > comparing different versions of a file.
                                    >
                                    >I don't seem to have this feature even though I'm running 6.1.284. I can
                                    >see "Edit with multiple Vims", and "Edit with single Vim", but not "Diff
                                    >with Vim". Am I missing anything?
                                    >
                                    >This would be one of the features I've been craving for. 8-)

                                    You will need to compile gvimext.dll separately, since it is not done
                                    automatically by the Vim makefiles. Look in the vim61\gvimext directory for
                                    the source. You can use the MSVC++ or Borland compilers, or if you have
                                    time, you could lok at the vim-dev archives from last month and get the
                                    patches to compile gvimext.dll with the MinGW compiler. The README.txt in
                                    that same directory should get you going.

                                    Dan Sharp

                                  • David Fishburn
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 5, 2003
                                      The only thing I can find in this directory is:
                                      11/13/2001 3:01a 39 .cvsignore
                                      8/04/2002 4:25p 23,784 gvimext.cpp
                                      1/16/2000 7:41p 191 gvimext.def
                                      8/04/2002 4:25p 4,319 gvimext.h
                                      8/20/2000 6:06p 588 gvimext.inf
                                      9/02/2001 4:45p 2,795 gvimext.rc
                                      2/25/2002 11:44a 749 GvimExt.reg
                                      8/27/2001 5:13p 601 Makefile
                                      9/02/2001 4:45p 297 Make_bc5.mak
                                      3/11/2002 6:16p 4,174 README.txt
                                      1/16/2000 7:41p 410 resource.h
                                      1/16/2000 7:41p 66 uninst.bat

                                      I only see a borland mak file.
                                      I use CVS to get the source.

                                      I am missing something? I use Microsoft to compile.

                                      TIA,
                                      Dave

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 6, 2003
                                        David Fishburn wrote:
                                        > The only thing I can find in this directory is:
                                        > 11/13/2001 3:01a 39 .cvsignore
                                        > 8/04/2002 4:25p 23,784 gvimext.cpp
                                        > 1/16/2000 7:41p 191 gvimext.def
                                        > 8/04/2002 4:25p 4,319 gvimext.h
                                        > 8/20/2000 6:06p 588 gvimext.inf
                                        > 9/02/2001 4:45p 2,795 gvimext.rc
                                        > 2/25/2002 11:44a 749 GvimExt.reg
                                        > 8/27/2001 5:13p 601 Makefile
                                        > 9/02/2001 4:45p 297 Make_bc5.mak
                                        > 3/11/2002 6:16p 4,174 README.txt
                                        > 1/16/2000 7:41p 410 resource.h
                                        > 1/16/2000 7:41p 66 uninst.bat
                                        >
                                        > I only see a borland mak file.
                                        > I use CVS to get the source.
                                        >
                                        > I am missing something? I use Microsoft to compile.

                                        You will want to use Makefile then, which is the Microsoft makefile. I
                                        suppose it could probably be renamed to Make_mvc.mak to be consistent
                                        with the other files.

                                        Dan Sharp