Re: Sensing the extension in vimrc

  • Naveen Chandra
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3 3:46 AM
      > Hi all,
      > I want to load a certain set of parameters when I
      > open a file with a particular extension. Say, I have
      > a "c" file, and when I open it I should have ":set
      > noic" (I have the default setting as "ignorecase").
      > How do i specify the condition in my .vimrc?

      you can use autocommands for some simple settings. Put the
      following in your .vimrc

      au BufRead *.c set noic

      read :help au

      hth
      -ncr

      --
      Calvin: But Calvin is no kind and loving god! He's one of the
      old gods! He demands sacrifice!

      ---o0o---

      Naveen Chandra R
      Validation Technologies Group, PNP,
      Sun Microsystems,
      Bangalore, India.

      Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/ncr_10/
      Ph: 91-80-2298989, ext:27461

      ---o0o---
    • Luc Hermitte
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 8:55 AM
        * On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:11:35AM -0800, Anith C.R <cr_anith@...> wrote:
        > How do i specify the condition in my .vimrc?

        If you have many things to specify and you want to watch many different
        extensions like : all the C files, all the C++ files, all the ada files,
        etc.
        Then prefer using filetype plugins to having hundred of autocommands in
        your .vimrc.

        BTW, don't use :set, but :setlocal in such cases.
        :map -> :map <buffer>, etc.

        --
        Luc Hermitte
        http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3 9:46 AM
          Naveen Chandra wrote:
          >>Hi all,
          >> I want to load a certain set of parameters when I
          >>open a file with a particular extension. Say, I have
          >>a "c" file, and when I open it I should have ":set
          >>noic" (I have the default setting as "ignorecase").
          >> How do i specify the condition in my .vimrc?
          >

          > you can use autocommands for some simple settings. Put the
          > following in your .vimrc
          >
          > au BufRead *.c set noic
          >
          > read :help au

          If you want to do more complicated customizations, it may be
          easier to use filetype plugins. See

          :help filetype-plugin

          in the users' manual.

          Note that you may open other files after starting vim, so simply
          changing settings in your vimrc file is not going to work. Either using
          autocommands or filetype plugins will work.

          HTH --Benji Fisher