Re: Syntax Question

  • Piet Delport
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
      On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 at 23:19:41 -0500, Geoffrey Mann wrote:

      > At the moment, in the sas.vim syntax file, a specific proc is
      > specified as such:
      >
      > syn region sasProcs start="PROC FORMAT" end="\W"
      >
      > This is quite limiting because there might be two spaces or 3, who
      > knows? One thing I am sure of is that FORMAT must follow PROC in
      > order to be highlighted (although it could be on the next line). I
      > have been trying to play with combinations of match, region and/or
      > cluster to get this to work. I have been trying to think of an
      > example syntax file which has this sort of highlighting characteristic
      > but am coming up with butkus.

      Try using \_s\+ instead of the space? This will match any amount of
      whitespace, including newlines. (See :h /\s and :h /\_ for more info.)

      --
      Piet Delport
      Today's subliminal thought is:
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
        Piet,
        Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, all 4 of the below lines give me the same response for the below text.
        1) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skipwhite end=/gplot/
        2) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skip=/\_s\+/ end=/gplot/
        3) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skip=/\_s/ end=/gplot/
        4) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ end=/test/ oneline

        %preprocess(data=rp,vars=&rvars1,bw=500,cut=2.5,shift=10)
        run;

        /*---plots using time-of-flight on the x-axis---*/
        symbol i=join r=20;
        proc gplot data=rp1prep;

        Sorry for the rich text but I needed the highlight to show that it is going to the first "proc" string it sees and goes to the gplot. Do I want to use a cluster? I have exhaustively read the doc (which I am knowledgeable in regexp so it is hurting me), and have been playing with a lot of different combinations. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

        Geoff

        On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 at 23:19:41 -0500, Geoffrey Mann wrote:

        > At the moment, in the sas.vim syntax file, a specific proc is
        > specified as such:
        >
        > syn region sasProcs start="PROC FORMAT" end="\W"
        >
        > This is quite limiting because there might be two spaces or 3, who
        > knows? One thing I am sure of is that FORMAT must follow PROC in
        > order to be highlighted (although it could be on the next line). I
        > have been trying to play with combinations of match, region and/or
        > cluster to get this to work. I have been trying to think of an
        > example syntax file which has this sort of highlighting characteristic
        > but am coming up with butkus.

        Try using \_s\+ instead of the space? This will match any amount of
        whitespace, including newlines. (See :h /\s and :h /\_ for more info.)

        --
        Piet Delport
        Today's subliminal thought is: << File: ATT00013.dat >>
      • Geoffrey Mann
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
          OK, that should read "I am not knowledgeable of regexp". :(

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
            Thought I had tried this before sending mail but looks like this works:

            syn match sasProcGplot /proc/ nextgroup=gplot skipwhite
            syn match gplot /gplot/ contained

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
              On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 at 15:08:06 -0500, Geoffrey Mann wrote:
              > Piet,
              > Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, all 4 of the below lines give me the same response for the below text.
              > 1) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skipwhite end=/gplot/
              > 2) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skip=/\_s\+/ end=/gplot/
              > 3) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ skip=/\_s/ end=/gplot/
              > 4) syn region sasProcGplot start=/proc/ end=/test/ oneline
              >
              > %preprocess(data=rp,vars=&rvars1,bw=500,cut=2.5,shift=10)
              > run;
              >

              > /*---plots using time-of-flight on the x-axis---*/
              > symbol i=join r=20;
              > proc gplot data=rp1prep;
              >
              > Sorry for the rich text but I needed the highlight to show that it is
              > going to the first "proc" string it sees and goes to the gplot.

              Rich text? I only see plain text here...

              > Do I want to use a cluster? I have exhaustively read the doc (which I
              > am knowledgeable in regexp so it is hurting me), and have been playing
              > with a lot of different combinations. Any more suggestions would be
              > greatly appreciated.

              Hmm, the :syn region statements above should work. Did you do a :syn
              clear, or restart Vim, before trying out each of the above :syn region
              statements? Not doing so could cause previously-defined regions to
              match the text, before the ones you just entered even have a chance.

              As an aside, it's probably better and more efficient to use a single
              match, instead of the regions above, as in:

              :syn match sasProcGplot /proc\_s\+gplot/

              HTH,