Re: Mysterious yank.

  • Andreas Schlapbach
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      John Culleton wrote:
      > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
      > type "2y" I yank three lines.
      >
      > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?

      2yy,

      or am I missing something? :)

      Andreas

      --
      Andreas Schlapbach schlpbch@...
      http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schlpbch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        On Wednesday 01 January 2003 23:06, Andreas Schlapbach wrote:
        > John Culleton wrote:
        > > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
        > > type "2y" I yank three lines.
        > >
        > > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?
        >
        > 2yy,
        >
        > or am I missing something? :)
        >
        > Andreas

        No, I missed something. I never knew "yy" could have a line count in
        front of it. Thanks to all who replied. I have been using VI forever
        but I still have lots to learn about Vim :-)
        --

        John Culleton
        Able Indexers and Typesetters
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2003
          On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:40:42PM +0000, John Culleton wrote:
          > On Wednesday 01 January 2003 23:06, Andreas Schlapbach wrote:
          > > John Culleton wrote:
          > > > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
          > > > type "2y" I yank three lines.
          > > >
          > > > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?
          > >
          > > 2yy,
          > >
          > > or am I missing something? :)
          > >
          > > Andreas
          >
          > No, I missed something. I never knew "yy" could have a line count in
          > front of it. Thanks to all who replied. I have been using VI forever
          > but I still have lots to learn about Vim :-)

          I believe all of the commands mentioned in this thread behave exactly
          the same in vi and vim.

          Ross