Re: Mysterious yank.

  • Steven Tryon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      I use "yj".

      Steve

      --
      Steven Tryon
      stryon@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        John Culleton wrote:
        > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
        > type "2y" I yank three lines.
        >
        > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?

        2yy,

        or am I missing something? :)

        Andreas

        --
        Andreas Schlapbach schlpbch@...
        http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schlpbch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          On Wednesday 01 January 2003 23:06, Andreas Schlapbach wrote:
          > John Culleton wrote:
          > > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
          > > type "2y" I yank three lines.
          > >
          > > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?
          >
          > 2yy,
          >
          > or am I missing something? :)
          >
          > Andreas

          No, I missed something. I never knew "yy" could have a line count in
          front of it. Thanks to all who replied. I have been using VI forever
          but I still have lots to learn about Vim :-)
          --

          John Culleton
          Able Indexers and Typesetters
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2003
            On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:40:42PM +0000, John Culleton wrote:
            > On Wednesday 01 January 2003 23:06, Andreas Schlapbach wrote:
            > > John Culleton wrote:
            > > > If I type "yy" I yank one line. If I type "1y" I get no lines. If I
            > > > type "2y" I yank three lines.
            > > >
            > > > So how does one yank exactly 2 lines?
            > >
            > > 2yy,
            > >
            > > or am I missing something? :)
            > >
            > > Andreas
            >
            > No, I missed something. I never knew "yy" could have a line count in
            > front of it. Thanks to all who replied. I have been using VI forever
            > but I still have lots to learn about Vim :-)

            I believe all of the commands mentioned in this thread behave exactly
            the same in vi and vim.

            Ross