Re: multibyte in patterns

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      > Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      [...]
      > > have you tried it with encodings for which there is no equivalent for
      > > that latin-1 character? (Iconv fails: what happens then?)
      >
      > No, I have only tried it with utf-8 and latin1. What other
      > encodings should I try?

      As many as possible, of course; but this is not really an answer. Maybe you
      could start, if you have them, with Central-European and Turkish encodings,
      then if it works OK, with more esoteric ones like Greek, Cyrillic, Big5,
      sjis, euc-kr,... and wouldn't digraphs << and >> need to be switched around
      for right-to-left languages like Hebrew, Farsi and Arabic? -- As you see,
      I'm thinking of what the plugin would need to be as general as possible, for
      as many users as possible. Also, as could be inferred from Bram's post of a
      few minutes ago, mybe there ought to be a fallback if iconv() fails for any
      reason, and in particular for if ! has("iconv")...

      Tony.