Re: multibyte in patterns

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      >> Final question: I want my script to be able to insert "«" without
      >>forcing users to adopt the latest patched vim. (I am thinking of the
      >>LaTeX suite.) Instead of
      >>

      >>>let foo = "\uab"
      >>
      >>with this patch, should
      >>

      >>>let foo = iconv("\xab", "latin1", &enc)
      >>
      >>have the same effect? It seems to work, as far as I can tell.
      >

      > have you tried it with encodings for which there is no equivalent for that
      > latin-1 character? (Iconv fails: what happens then?)

      No, I have only tried it with utf-8 and latin1. What other
      encodings should I try?

      > Best wishes -- and a happy New Year
      > Tony.

      Thanks!

      --Benji Fisher
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
        [...]
        > > have you tried it with encodings for which there is no equivalent for
        > > that latin-1 character? (Iconv fails: what happens then?)
        >
        > No, I have only tried it with utf-8 and latin1. What other
        > encodings should I try?

        As many as possible, of course; but this is not really an answer. Maybe you
        could start, if you have them, with Central-European and Turkish encodings,
        then if it works OK, with more esoteric ones like Greek, Cyrillic, Big5,
        sjis, euc-kr,... and wouldn't digraphs << and >> need to be switched around
        for right-to-left languages like Hebrew, Farsi and Arabic? -- As you see,
        I'm thinking of what the plugin would need to be as general as possible, for
        as many users as possible. Also, as could be inferred from Bram's post of a
        few minutes ago, mybe there ought to be a fallback if iconv() fails for any
        reason, and in particular for if ! has("iconv")...

        Tony.