Re: Problem with menu item

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
      Klaus Bosau wrote:
      > On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >

      >>Klaus Bosau wrote:
      >>

      >>>[source'ing experiment]
      >>>
      >>>Now I'm wondering a bit if there might be something like an upper
      >>>limit on the amount of source'd material. What do you think?
      >>
      >>I suppose that is possible, but I still suspect some sort of conflict
      >>between the scripts. I would look closely at the parts of the two
      >>scripts that, when deleted, lead to a working system. Do things start
      >>working as soon as you delete ANY plugin (such as the standard ones,
      >>in $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/ )?
      >

      > Yes. I have to ensure however that the size of the moved material is
      > about equal to the size of the initially moved plugin. - How large is
      > the amount of sourced material in your local environment, Benji? Do you
      > run plugins not shipped with Vim too? And if yes, which ones? (Sorry for
      > I'm asking so much questions...)

      Since your answer is "yes," I am coming around to your point of
      view. I do not use all that many plugins. I do use the LaTeX suite,
      http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=475
      and $VIMRUNTIME/macros/matchit.vim .

      What is your OS? How many plugins (in KB, say) do you use? If it
      really is an out-of-memory problem, it should be possible to reproduce
      with your testmenu.vim and enough dummy functions (defined but not
      invoked) of the form

      fun! Dummy1()
      echo "This is dummy function #1."
      let foo = 1
      let bar = 2
      if foo == bar
      echo "Problems have started!"
      endif
      endfun

      How many does it take?

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Klaus Bosau
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
        On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Since your answer is "yes," I am coming around to your point of
        > view. I do not use all that many plugins. I do use the LaTeX suite,
        > http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=475
        > and $VIMRUNTIME/macros/matchit.vim .

        152kB and 34 kB? You're at the edge... ;-)

        > What is your OS?

        W98 (here)

        > How many plugins (in KB, say) do you use?

        About 160 kB.

        > If it really is an out-of-memory problem, it should be possible to
        > reproduce with your testmenu.vim and enough dummy functions (defined
        > but not invoked) of the form
        >
        > fun! Dummy1()
        > echo "This is dummy function #1."
        > let foo = 1
        > let bar = 2
        > if foo == bar
        > echo "Problems have started!"
        > endif
        > endfun
        >
        > How many does it take?

        I did a somehow radical experiment with 39179 Dummies (including me)
        resp. 5.7 MB of source'd material. This made Vim go crazy a bit. ;-)
        Looks not so bad though, but of course this might become easier as soon
        as the structures become more complicated. (I actually don't think that
        it is a simple allocation problem.) Keep in mind too, the script
        referred to didn't contain any active parts as the menu problem showed
        up. (It has not yet been started!) Which kind of interference could have
        taken place here?

        Kind regards,

        Klaus