Re: Problem with menu items

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
      Klaus Bosau <kbosau@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      > > Oops! 2nd byte is FA, not F0.
      >
      > Hi Antoine,
      >
      > the sequence in question showed up where (normal mode) keystrokes
      > normally are shown. Are there any commands which could have caused this?
      > "128" for instance... It denotes the symbol for the european monetary
      > unit. Isn't it unlikely that a normal mode command contains this
      > character?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Klaus

      I'm still thinking of something nasty, stack overflow, buffer ovrerun, using
      an uninitialized pointer, etc. That bytestring looked to me like an
      out-of-contest snippet of program code, possibly for some Intel x86
      platform, but too short to be easily understood. In that case your 128 would
      be a 0x80 byte somewhere in an instruction, and it cannot be interpreted
      without knowing at least where the (possibly multibyte) instruction starts.
      And anyway once you start unintentionally handling program code as data, all
      hell can break loose anytime.

      Tony.
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
        Klaus Bosau wrote:
        > On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >

        >>Klaus Bosau wrote:
        >>

        >>>[source'ing experiment]
        >>>
        >>>Now I'm wondering a bit if there might be something like an upper
        >>>limit on the amount of source'd material. What do you think?
        >>
        >>I suppose that is possible, but I still suspect some sort of conflict
        >>between the scripts. I would look closely at the parts of the two
        >>scripts that, when deleted, lead to a working system. Do things start
        >>working as soon as you delete ANY plugin (such as the standard ones,
        >>in $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/ )?
        >

        > Yes. I have to ensure however that the size of the moved material is
        > about equal to the size of the initially moved plugin. - How large is
        > the amount of sourced material in your local environment, Benji? Do you
        > run plugins not shipped with Vim too? And if yes, which ones? (Sorry for
        > I'm asking so much questions...)

        Since your answer is "yes," I am coming around to your point of
        view. I do not use all that many plugins. I do use the LaTeX suite,
        http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=475
        and $VIMRUNTIME/macros/matchit.vim .

        What is your OS? How many plugins (in KB, say) do you use? If it
        really is an out-of-memory problem, it should be possible to reproduce
        with your testmenu.vim and enough dummy functions (defined but not
        invoked) of the form

        fun! Dummy1()
        echo "This is dummy function #1."
        let foo = 1
        let bar = 2
        if foo == bar
        echo "Problems have started!"
        endif
        endfun

        How many does it take?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Klaus Bosau
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
          On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > Since your answer is "yes," I am coming around to your point of
          > view. I do not use all that many plugins. I do use the LaTeX suite,
          > http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=475
          > and $VIMRUNTIME/macros/matchit.vim .

          152kB and 34 kB? You're at the edge... ;-)

          > What is your OS?

          W98 (here)

          > How many plugins (in KB, say) do you use?

          About 160 kB.

          > If it really is an out-of-memory problem, it should be possible to
          > reproduce with your testmenu.vim and enough dummy functions (defined
          > but not invoked) of the form
          >
          > fun! Dummy1()
          > echo "This is dummy function #1."
          > let foo = 1
          > let bar = 2
          > if foo == bar
          > echo "Problems have started!"
          > endif
          > endfun
          >
          > How many does it take?

          I did a somehow radical experiment with 39179 Dummies (including me)
          resp. 5.7 MB of source'd material. This made Vim go crazy a bit. ;-)
          Looks not so bad though, but of course this might become easier as soon
          as the structures become more complicated. (I actually don't think that
          it is a simple allocation problem.) Keep in mind too, the script
          referred to didn't contain any active parts as the menu problem showed
          up. (It has not yet been started!) Which kind of interference could have
          taken place here?

          Kind regards,

          Klaus