Re: vimrc encoding

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2002
      Bjoern Jacke wrote:

      > I switch between UTF-8 and latin1 locales from time to time. Does
      > anyone know how to tell vim which encoding its own vimrc is? Vim
      > should know that to correctly replace text containing non-ascii
      > characters from vimrc's "ab" and "iab" commands for example. I
      > have to decide if I make my vimrc utf-8 encoded or latin1 encoded
      > and working in a locale with the other encoding will not work right.
      > It would be nice if I could just put a modeline into my vimrc and
      > tell it about it's fileencoding at that place but that does not
      > work this way. Any ideas?

      Best is to avoid non-ASCII characters in the generic file and load an
      encoding-specific script file when needed.

      An alternative is using ":scriptencoding". But conversion may fail
      silently, thus be careful with this.

      260. Co-workers have to E-mail you about the fire alarm to get
      you out of the building.