Re: Compile on Redhat 8

  • Jeremy Brand, B.S.
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      Thus spake Benji Fisher:

      > Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > > James Wanliss <James.Wanliss@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Hello,
      > >>
      > >>I have a question regarding compile of 6.0 and 6.1-I am unable to compile
      > >>these codes for use of gvim on Redhat 8.0.
      > [snip]
      > >
      > > Jeremy Brand, B.S. <jeremy@...> has pre-compiled RPM archives with
      > > vim 6.1 for RedHat. I found the following in my "collection of past Vim
      > > postings" but I'm not sure whether it's the latest posting on that subject.
      > >
      > > Tony.
      > >
      > > <quote>
      > > Download URL
      > >
      > > http://nirvani.org/software/vim/
      >
      > I think there are problems with gcc 3.x, and these are addressed
      > in some of the patches for vim 6.1. So, if you do not want to use the
      > RPM's, get the patches or get the source from CVS.

      It might also be a configuration problem on your machine. My RPMs build
      just fine on RedHat 8 with gcc 3.2. I just re-tested them to make sure.

      However, I don't distribute RPMs for RedHat 8 soley, because I distribute
      ones that work on RedHat 7 & 8.

      If you still want to try and compile VIM on your redhat 8 box and are
      convinced it has something to do with GCC 3.2, try using /usr/bin/gcc296
      as your $CC replacement in the proper makefiles and friends. A usually
      easier _quick fix_ is it `link -s /usr/bin/gcc296 /bin/gcc`, then when you
      are done building, remove the link /bin/gcc - This works, because most
      people have /bin in their $PATH before /usr/bin.

      Jeremy
      --
      http://nirvani.org/software/vim/