Re: Line change notification

  • Sylvain Viart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002

      Todd Musall wrote:

      > I know Vim has b:changedtick to tell if a buffer is changed, but is
      > there anyway to determine which lines within the buffer are changed?

      May be `. will help you.

      :he `.

      - Sylvain Viart -
      - Blainville - Canada -
      Je parle aussi le français.
    • Todd Musall
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        Sylvain,

        I know about `. but that isn't what I'm after. Suppose I have a buffer
        and I've inserted a new word in lines 2, 7, and 14. Undo certainly knows
        these three lines are changed so it can "undo" each change in turn. Is
        there someway of getting this same information, ie. the list of changed
        lines, from a script? That's what I'm trying to do.

        I couldn't find anything in help so I'm guessing this information isn't
        available. I hope I'm wrong though ;-)

        Regards,
        -Todd

        On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 06:51, Sylvain Viart wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Todd Musall wrote:
        > >
        > > I know Vim has b:changedtick to tell if a buffer is changed, but is
        > > there anyway to determine which lines within the buffer are changed?
        > >

        > May be `. will help you.
        >
        > :he `.
        >
        > Regards,
        > --
        > - Sylvain Viart -
        > - Blainville - Canada -
        > Je parle aussi le français.
      • Sylvain Viart
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
          Hi Todd,

          Todd Musall wrote:

          > Suppose I have a buffer and I've inserted a new word in lines 2, 7,
          > and 14. Undo certainly knows these three lines are changed so it can
          > "undo" each change in turn. Is there someway of getting this same
          > information, ie. the list of changed lines, from a script?

          So you may tell the answer. If undo can bring your change back,
          you could try to undo / redo the changes and try to match the line.

          You can also make a copy of the line an diff them... Probably not
          what you want.

          Could you give us the reason of the detection ?
          What do you want to do ?

          Hope That Helps,
          --
          - Sylvain Viart -
          - Blainville - Canada -
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
            Sylvain,

            I'm trying to place a sign on each line that has changed since the last
            buffer save. I know you can see changes in a buffer using diff against
            the original file, but I'm trying something different. Any ideas on how
            I can get these line numbers?

            -Todd