Line change notification

  • Todd Musall
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
      All,

      I know Vim has b:changedtick to tell if a buffer is changed, but is
      there anyway to determine which lines within the buffer are changed?
      Undo must keep this kind of information, so is there anyway to get at
      it? What I'm really looking for is Vim to call my function with a line
      range each time a change is made. Is this possible?

      Thanks for the help.
      -Todd
    • Sylvain Viart
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002

        Todd Musall wrote:

        > I know Vim has b:changedtick to tell if a buffer is changed, but is
        > there anyway to determine which lines within the buffer are changed?

        May be `. will help you.

        :he `.

        - Sylvain Viart -
        - Blainville - Canada -
        Je parle aussi le français.
      • Todd Musall
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
          Sylvain,

          I know about `. but that isn't what I'm after. Suppose I have a buffer
          and I've inserted a new word in lines 2, 7, and 14. Undo certainly knows
          these three lines are changed so it can "undo" each change in turn. Is
          there someway of getting this same information, ie. the list of changed
          lines, from a script? That's what I'm trying to do.

          I couldn't find anything in help so I'm guessing this information isn't
          available. I hope I'm wrong though ;-)

          Regards,
          -Todd

          On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 06:51, Sylvain Viart wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Todd Musall wrote:
          > >
          > > I know Vim has b:changedtick to tell if a buffer is changed, but is
          > > there anyway to determine which lines within the buffer are changed?
          > >

          > May be `. will help you.
          >
          > :he `.
          >
          > Regards,
          > --
          > - Sylvain Viart -
          > - Blainville - Canada -
          > Je parle aussi le français.
        • Sylvain Viart
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi Todd,

            Todd Musall wrote:

            > Suppose I have a buffer and I've inserted a new word in lines 2, 7,
            > and 14. Undo certainly knows these three lines are changed so it can
            > "undo" each change in turn. Is there someway of getting this same
            > information, ie. the list of changed lines, from a script?

            So you may tell the answer. If undo can bring your change back,
            you could try to undo / redo the changes and try to match the line.

            You can also make a copy of the line an diff them... Probably not
            what you want.

            Could you give us the reason of the detection ?
            What do you want to do ?

            Hope That Helps,
            --
            - Sylvain Viart -
            - Blainville - Canada -
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
              Sylvain,

              I'm trying to place a sign on each line that has changed since the last
              buffer save. I know you can see changes in a buffer using diff against
              the original file, but I'm trying something different. Any ideas on how
              I can get these line numbers?

              -Todd