Re: [vim] spellcheck on windows

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:20:25AM -0800, jonah wrote:
      > i'd like to use spellchecking on vim on my windows xp machine.
      > i can't seem to find any documentation about this on vim.org though.
      > the spell.vim plugin requires the unix spell utility, which i can't
      > seem to find in the binaries that came with cygwin.

      If you want to spell check English text, you may wish to consider
      engspchk.vim. There are also variants for Dutch, German, Hungarian,
      Polish, French, Spanish, and Yiddish:

      http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

      Misspelled words are highlighted as Error (usually white text on a red
      background) you may put your cursor on any such word and enter it into a
      permanent user dictionary (ie. engspchk.usr) or just into the temporary
      (this-session-only) database. These deeds may be accomplished via two maps in
      <engspchk.vim>:

      Dictionary Manipulation
      -----------------------
      \et : put word under cursor into database (temporarily - ie. just this file)
      \es : save word under cursor into database (permanently)
      Requires CVIMSYN to be an exported environment variable pointing to
      directory holding database: $CVIMSYN/usr_spchk.vim

      Misspelling Motions
      -------------------
      \en : move cursor to next spelling error
      \ep : move cursor to preceding spelling error

      Alternatives
      ------------
      \ea : suggest alternative spellings (uses agrep)

      You can get a copy of the Vim-based English spell checker via the web from

      http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

      After getting <engspchk.vim> installed as a plugin, while in Vim, just
      use

      \ec

      while in normal mode.

      You also need to tell <engspchk.vim> where the dictionary resides
      using the g:cvimsyn vim variable in your <.vimrc>:

      .vimrc : let g:cvimsyn="..path.."

      -or use an environment variable-

      PC <autoexec.bat> : set CVIMSYN=..path..
      Unix ksh : export CVIMSYN=..path..
      Unix sh : CVIMSYN=..path.. ; export CVIMSYN
      Unix csh : setenv CVIMSYN ..path..

      Regards,
      Charles Campbell
      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        you might want to look at the recent thread between myself and Dr. Campbell.
        I have it up and running fine now.