spellcheck on windows

  • jonah
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      i'd like to use spellchecking on vim on my windows xp machine.
      i can't seem to find any documentation about this on vim.org though.
      the spell.vim plugin requires the unix spell utility, which i can't
      seem to find in the binaries that came with cygwin.

      can anyone advise me on the best way to get the spellcheck up and
      running.

      thanks,
      jonah
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:20:25AM -0800, jonah wrote:
        > i'd like to use spellchecking on vim on my windows xp machine.
        > i can't seem to find any documentation about this on vim.org though.
        > the spell.vim plugin requires the unix spell utility, which i can't
        > seem to find in the binaries that came with cygwin.

        If you want to spell check English text, you may wish to consider
        engspchk.vim. There are also variants for Dutch, German, Hungarian,
        Polish, French, Spanish, and Yiddish:

        http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

        Misspelled words are highlighted as Error (usually white text on a red
        background) you may put your cursor on any such word and enter it into a
        permanent user dictionary (ie. engspchk.usr) or just into the temporary
        (this-session-only) database. These deeds may be accomplished via two maps in
        <engspchk.vim>:

        Dictionary Manipulation
        -----------------------
        \et : put word under cursor into database (temporarily - ie. just this file)
        \es : save word under cursor into database (permanently)
        Requires CVIMSYN to be an exported environment variable pointing to
        directory holding database: $CVIMSYN/usr_spchk.vim

        Misspelling Motions
        -------------------
        \en : move cursor to next spelling error
        \ep : move cursor to preceding spelling error

        Alternatives
        ------------
        \ea : suggest alternative spellings (uses agrep)

        You can get a copy of the Vim-based English spell checker via the web from

        http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

        After getting <engspchk.vim> installed as a plugin, while in Vim, just
        use

        \ec

        while in normal mode.

        You also need to tell <engspchk.vim> where the dictionary resides
        using the g:cvimsyn vim variable in your <.vimrc>:

        .vimrc : let g:cvimsyn="..path.."

        -or use an environment variable-

        PC <autoexec.bat> : set CVIMSYN=..path..
        Unix ksh : export CVIMSYN=..path..
        Unix sh : CVIMSYN=..path.. ; export CVIMSYN
        Unix csh : setenv CVIMSYN ..path..

        Regards,
        Charles Campbell
        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          you might want to look at the recent thread between myself and Dr. Campbell.
          I have it up and running fine now.