Re: :popup not available in this version

  • Colin Keith
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:27:12PM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
      > I don't know if this is because a feature is not compiled in or if the

      It is as described in ":help E319"

      > GTK GUI doesn't support this? Pressing the right mouse buttons gives me
      > a popup menu though.

      Its not the same thing.

      > My vim is from Debian unstable and has these features:

      Are you sure that your problem is not related to this description of Popup
      Menus?

      "5.8 Popup Menus

      In the win32 gui, you can cause a menu to popup at the cursor."

      ... ?

      Col.

      --
      http://www.kvinnherad.org/1.html
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Preben Randhol wrote;

        > I was experimenting with menus and :popup, but I only get.
        >
        > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version
        >
        > I don't know if this is because a feature is not compiled in or if the
        > GTK GUI doesn't support this? Pressing the right mouse buttons gives me
        > a popup menu though.

        The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
        the docs, it's not very clear about this.

        --
        Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

      • Preben Randhol
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :

          > The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
          > the docs, it's not very clear about this.

          Ah I see. No I only saw a reference to win32-hide or something like
          that. I don't know how this works in windows, I'll check, but I guess
          that the reason it is not in the GTK version is that it is not
          implemented and not because it cannot be done?

          --
          Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
          Just vim it.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            Colin Keith <vim@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :
            > Are you sure that your problem is not related to this description of Popup
            > Menus?
            >
            > "5.8 Popup Menus
            >
            > In the win32 gui, you can cause a menu to popup at the cursor."

            Well the point is that I did:

            :h :popup

            and the first line of the buffer then shows is:

            *:popup* *:popu*

            I didn't think to go up in the buffer as I was expecting the help to be
            below this point. Perhaps it would be better if the *:popup* *:popu* was
            simply moved to the:

            5.8 Popup Menus

            line :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              Preben Randhol wrote:

              > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :
              > >
              > > The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
              > > the docs, it's not very clear about this.
              >
              > Ah I see. No I only saw a reference to win32-hide or something like
              > that. I don't know how this works in windows, I'll check, but I guess
              > that the reason it is not in the GTK version is that it is not
              > implemented and not because it cannot be done?

              No, ":popup" can't be done on systems other than MS-Windows.

              (actually, I think it can, but the best way to motivate someone to
              implement this is by saying it can't be done 8-)

              --
              Veni, Vidi, VW -- I came, I saw, I drove around in a little car.

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

                > No, ":popup" can't be done on systems other than MS-Windows.
                >
                > (actually, I think it can, but the best way to motivate someone to
                > implement this is by saying it can't be done 8-)

                Ok, so what will I have to offer somebody to get them to code this for
                GTK by v6.2? ;)

                I had just started designing a fancy function(argument) completion
                thingy (you know, like all the IDEs have) when I read this. :( I sure
                hope somebody steps up to the challenge because I'm gonna hate doing
                this with window buffers!

                Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]