:popup not available in this version

  • Preben Randhol
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi

      I was experimenting with menus and :popup, but I only get.

      E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version

      I don't know if this is because a feature is not compiled in or if the
      GTK GUI doesn't support this? Pressing the right mouse buttons gives me
      a popup menu though.

      My vim is from Debian unstable and has these features:

      % gvim --version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Oct 1 2002 21:47:23)
      Included patches: 1-206
      Compiled by Wichert Akkerman <wichert@...>
      Normal version with GTK GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv +cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval
      +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
      +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
      +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
      -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype +path_extra
      -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
      +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
      +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
      +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim
      +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
      -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
      -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -DFEAT_LANGMAP -DFEAT_KEYMAP -DFEAT_SIGNS
      -DFEAT_RIGHTLEFT -I/usr/X11R6/include
      Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib
      -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext
      -lm -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl

      Thanks in advance

      --
      Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
      Just vim it.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:27:12PM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
        > I don't know if this is because a feature is not compiled in or if the

        It is as described in ":help E319"

        > GTK GUI doesn't support this? Pressing the right mouse buttons gives me
        > a popup menu though.

        Its not the same thing.

        > My vim is from Debian unstable and has these features:

        Are you sure that your problem is not related to this description of Popup
        Menus?

        "5.8 Popup Menus

        In the win32 gui, you can cause a menu to popup at the cursor."

        ... ?

        Col.

        --
        http://www.kvinnherad.org/1.html
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Preben Randhol wrote;

          > I was experimenting with menus and :popup, but I only get.
          >
          > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version
          >
          > I don't know if this is because a feature is not compiled in or if the
          > GTK GUI doesn't support this? Pressing the right mouse buttons gives me
          > a popup menu though.

          The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
          the docs, it's not very clear about this.

          --
          Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

        • Preben Randhol
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :

            > The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
            > the docs, it's not very clear about this.

            Ah I see. No I only saw a reference to win32-hide or something like
            that. I don't know how this works in windows, I'll check, but I guess
            that the reason it is not in the GTK version is that it is not
            implemented and not because it cannot be done?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              Colin Keith <vim@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :
              > Are you sure that your problem is not related to this description of Popup
              > Menus?
              >
              > "5.8 Popup Menus
              >
              > In the win32 gui, you can cause a menu to popup at the cursor."

              Well the point is that I did:

              :h :popup

              and the first line of the buffer then shows is:

              *:popup* *:popu*

              I didn't think to go up in the buffer as I was expecting the help to be
              below this point. Perhaps it would be better if the *:popup* *:popu* was
              simply moved to the:

              5.8 Popup Menus

              line :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                Preben Randhol wrote:

                > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote on 01/11/2002 (17:43) :
                > >
                > > The ":popup" command is only supported on Win32. I'll add a remark in
                > > the docs, it's not very clear about this.
                >
                > Ah I see. No I only saw a reference to win32-hide or something like
                > that. I don't know how this works in windows, I'll check, but I guess
                > that the reason it is not in the GTK version is that it is not
                > implemented and not because it cannot be done?

                No, ":popup" can't be done on systems other than MS-Windows.

                (actually, I think it can, but the best way to motivate someone to
                implement this is by saying it can't be done 8-)

                --
                Veni, Vidi, VW -- I came, I saw, I drove around in a little car.

              • Steve Hall
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                  From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

                  > No, ":popup" can't be done on systems other than MS-Windows.
                  >
                  > (actually, I think it can, but the best way to motivate someone to
                  > implement this is by saying it can't be done 8-)

                  Ok, so what will I have to offer somebody to get them to code this for
                  GTK by v6.2? ;)

                  I had just started designing a fancy function(argument) completion
                  thingy (you know, like all the IDEs have) when I read this. :( I sure
                  hope somebody steps up to the challenge because I'm gonna hate doing
                  this with window buffers!

                  Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]