Saving non-UTF8 file as UTF8

  • Daryl Biberdorf
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      I have a file containing XML (an XSLT stylesheet,
      actually).

      The environment where I'm trying to use that file
      is set to use UTF8 and does no character set conversion
      when loading the file. (Environment is Oracle 9i.)
      Thus, this file needs to be saved in UTF8 or UCS2 format.

      I am using GVim 6.1 under Windows 2000. I can easily open
      my original XML file and save it as UTF8 using WordPad.
      (But who wants to use WordPad when there's a REAL
      editor like Vim around?!)

      Thus far, I've not been able to use Vim to save the file
      in the UTF8 encoding. I've tried
      :set encoding=utf-8
      :set fileencoding=utf-8
      after opening the file, but saving the file still results
      in a non-utf8 result. I also tried
      :w ++enc=utf-8
      but with the same results.

      I'm stumped. Can anyone help?

      The option results of :version are:
      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 24 2002 16:04:44)
      MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
      Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +dialog_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
      +ex_extra
      +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
      +gettext/dyn
      -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall
      +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname
      +mouse +mouseshape +multi_byte_ime/dyn +multi_lang +ole -osfiletype
      +path_extra
      +perl/dyn -postscript +printer +python/dyn +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
      +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
      +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl/dyn -tgetent -termresponse
      +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
      +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
      -xfontset -xim -xterm_save

      The results of :language are:
      Current language: "English_United States.1252"

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Daryl