spell check

  • Kipp, James
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
      I am trying to get spell check to work on Winnt using vim6.1. I copied all
      of the files into $VIM and into the plugin directory (just to make sure).
      When i open a document and type \ec i get this error: \ should be followed
      by /, ? or &. Now i do see a DrChip menu item in the menu bar with a "Load
      Spelling Checker" item, when I click it, I see this at the bottom ( on the
      ex command ) :call <SID>LoadSpchk()<CR>, then when i press enter I get:
      Using <SID> not in a script context...
      Finally as a last resort I type: :so $VIMRUNTIME/engspchk.vim
      now this does not give me an error and it loads all of the engspeack menu
      options, but nothing seems to work, no spelling errors are highlighted

      Any idea how i can get this to work ?
      Thank You,
      Jim
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:52:03AM -0500, Kipp, James wrote:
        > I am trying to get spell check to work on Winnt using vim6.1. I copied all
        > of the files into $VIM and into the plugin directory (just to make sure).

        Only <engspchk.vim> should go into the plugin directory.

        engspchk.vim -> ...\vimfiles\plugin\engspchk.vim
        engspchk.* -> .../vimfiles\CVIMSYN\

        > When i open a document and type \ec i get this error: \ should be followed
        > by /, ? or &.

        Do you have mapleader defined? By default its a backslash, but if
        you've changed it, you'll need to use it instead of the backslash.
        Sounds like none of your plugins are being loaded, actually. Perhaps
        you need to set the VIM and VIMRUNTIME environment variables. I don't
        know about WinNT, but with Win2K:

        [Start][Settings][Control Panel]
        select {System}[Advanced][Environment Variables]

        and generate two user environment variables, VIM and VIMRUNTIME, with
        appropriate paths.

        > Any idea how i can get this to work ?

        I suspect that if you type

        :messages

        after attempting to load via \ec you'll see some error messages. Put
        the following into your <_gvimrc>:

        let g:cvimsyn="..path../CVIMSYN"

        this should point to the directory holding <engspchk.dict>, etc.

        I used a Win2K machine to test this approach and it works as expected.

        Regards,
        C Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
          Dear users,

          I've tried to use
          but seems to me doesn't work on windows (well, it
          tries to spell something but it doesn't underline
          nothing.)

          I've followed the inslla options.

          Question: does this script work on win?
          What is the best spell checker for vim (best also if
          can work on linux and windows as well)

          When i tried i used a fresh vim install + aspell (set
          in _vimrc) + this pluging

          Thanks a lot
          Fra
          Thanks

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Mathieu CLABAUT
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
            On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, francesco triti wrote:

            Hello francesco,

            Sorry to not have reply to your personal mail before... I was
            overbusy.

            > Dear users,
            >
            > I've tried to use
            > but seems to me doesn't work on windows (well, it
            > tries to spell something but it doesn't underline
            > nothing.)
            It seems that several user use vimspell on windows without to much
            problem (I think they all use cygwin environment). I personally do not
            use windows, and so I'm unable to test vimspell under such an OS.

            I'll however be happy to include in the official version all
            improvement needed to make it work nicely under windows.

            > What is the best spell checker for vim (best also if
            > can work on linux and windows as well)
            It depends on your test. There are several one (search script with
            spell keyword on vim.org)...

            > When i tried i used a fresh vim install + aspell (set
            > in _vimrc) + this pluging

            Ahhh, there is a known problem with the last aspell version. I've a
            working revision that works well with apsell here, but unfortunately,
            there is still a severe bug in "on the fly spell checking" function
            (due to vim 6.2 to vim 6.3 changes in the way abbreviations are handled
            in imappings)...

            I hope to be able to take some time to find a solution this week-end.

            So please, be patient, and you'll probably have a working version soon
            :)

            -mat

            --
            ________________http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html
            Mathieu CLABAUT mailto:mathieu.clabaut@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
              I had the same problem. I had no trouble getting the script to work on
              OS X, but couldn't ever get it to run on windows.

              Gary

            • Richard.Bair@kendro.spx.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
                francesco triti <francesco_triti@...> wrote on 10/27/2004 06:43:18
                AM:

                > Dear users,
                >
                > I've tried to use
                > but seems to me doesn't work on windows (well, it
                > tries to spell something but it doesn't underline
                > nothing.)
                >
                > I've followed the inslla options.
                >
                > Question: does this script work on win?
                > What is the best spell checker for vim (best also if
                > can work on linux and windows as well)

                It works great for me. I use aspell and 4-22-2004 version
                of the plugin. FYI, I'm not using cygwin.