Re: "E65: Illegal back reference"

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      m4418@... wrote:

      > Hi, I am using VIM 6.1 on NT 4.0 workstation (Chinese, BIG5)
      > and whenever I open a new buffer I get this error message.
      > Vim 6.0 works fine, though.
      >
      > I tried to track down the problem with GDB but found that VIM
      > is far too complex for my programming knowledge. Below is
      > the "back trace" result of my GDB session.
      >
      > What should I do to get rid of the error message? If I
      > manually change my "HOMEDRIVE" and "HOMEPATH" to "c:\"
      > then the error goes away, but this is not a desirable
      > solution since "O:\users\4418" is the system default.
      >
      > -Huang

      I would rather see the trace generated by

      :redir > vimlog.txt
      :set verbose=20
      :new " or whatever method of "edit[ing] a new buffer" causes the problem
      :redir END
      :set verbose=0

      Perhaps you can diagnose the problem yourself by looking at the output.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
        Huang wrote:

        > Hi, I am using VIM 6.1 on NT 4.0 workstation (Chinese, BIG5)
        > and whenever I open a new buffer I get this error message.
        > Vim 6.0 works fine, though.
        >
        > I tried to track down the problem with GDB but found that VIM
        > is far too complex for my programming knowledge. Below is
        > the "back trace" result of my GDB session.
        >
        > What should I do to get rid of the error message? If I
        > manually change my "HOMEDRIVE" and "HOMEPATH" to "c:\"
        > then the error goes away, but this is not a desirable
        > solution since "O:\users\4418" is the system default.

        Apparently this is caused by this autocommand in $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim:

        au BufNewFile,BufRead .muttrc*,~/.mutt/muttrc*,Muttrc setf muttrc

        The ~/ gets expanded into your home directory and slashes changed to
        backslashes. These backslashes cause trouble here. I'll see what I can
        do about this. In the mean time change the autocommand to:

        au BufNewFile,BufRead Muttrc setf muttrc

        --
        Laughing helps. It's like jogging on the inside.

      • m4418@mail.sinotech.com.tw
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
          On 3 Oct 2002 at 11:17, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Huang wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, I am using VIM 6.1 on NT 4.0 workstation (Chinese, BIG5)
          > > and whenever I open a new buffer I get this error message.
          > > Vim 6.0 works fine, though.
          > > What should I do to get rid of the error message? If I
          > > manually change my "HOMEDRIVE" and "HOMEPATH" to "c:\"
          > > then the error goes away, but this is not a desirable
          > > solution since "O:\users\4418" is the system default.
          >
          > Apparently this is caused by this autocommand in $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim:
          >
          > au BufNewFile,BufRead .muttrc*,~/.mutt/muttrc*,Muttrc setf muttrc
          >
          > The ~/ gets expanded into your home directory and slashes changed to
          > backslashes. These backslashes cause trouble here. I'll see what I can
          > do about this. In the mean time change the autocommand to:
          >
          > au BufNewFile,BufRead Muttrc setf muttrc

          Ah, this does solve the problem. Thank you!
          I have been struggling with this problem since
          VIM 6.1 came out. Should have asked the list
          earlier.
          Again, thank you for your time and this superb
          software.
          -Huang
        • m4418@mail.sinotech.com.tw
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002