Re: paste problems

  • Jussi Ekholm

      PayalR <payal@...> wrote:
      > Usually I have to paste parts of big config files from one terminal
      > to another which has vi running. When I paste it, the lines are
      > pasted anyhow like this,
      [snipped demonstration]

      You posted this article to vim@..., which is meant for discussion
      about Vim. Still, you mention using Vi in this posting. Did you mean
      Vim or are you really using Vi?

      Anyway, in Vim this does work, but in Vi -- dunno. Before you paste
      anything, type :set paste, enter Insert-mode and paste the stuff you
      want. After that, type :set nopaste. Perhaps this was what you were
      looking for?

      - --
      Jussi Ekholm <ekhowl@...> | <http://erppimaa.ihku.org/> | <0x1410081E>
    • Derek Wyatt
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        assuming that your config file looks like asdsadassadassadsa and you're
        only complaining about the indents...

        set paste

        :h paste
        :h nopaste
        :h pastetoggle

        On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 11:51:20PM +0530, PayalR wrote:
        | Hi all,
        | Usually I have to paste parts of big config files from one terminal to
        | another which has vi running.
        | When I paste it, the lines are pasted anyhow like this,
        | asas
        | as
        | asdsadassadassadsa
        | asdasxzzcxasas
        | ssadasdsadsafasfa
        | #asfdasfaf
        | etc.
        |
        | When I paste the same in pico I get proper results.
        | What must be the problem? I use mouse to cut and paste text.
        | Thanks a lot and bye.
        | -Payal

        Derek Quinn Wyatt | Phone: (905) 886-7818 ext. 2313
        Syndesis Engineering | Fax: (905) 886-9076
        Toronto, Ontario, CAN | Email: wyatt@...
        "Information about package holidays on the FrogStar are
        available in the leaflet, 'Sun, Sand and Suffering on the
        most totally evil place in the galaxy'"
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
          > > > When I paste the same in pico I get proper results.
          > > > What must be the problem? I use mouse to cut and paste text.
          > >
          > > are you pasting with vi in insert mode? Pasting in command mode does
          > > screwy stuff ;)
          >
          > yes I am pasting in insert mode.

          You happen to have any funky control characters in the source text that
          might be causing trouble? You may also want to check out :he paste

          -tim