Re: Attention! warning message at yahoo groups

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      Gary Johnson wrote:

      > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
      > > do a search in it.
      > >
      > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB
      > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
      > > deleted to make room for new ones
      >
      > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at
      > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

      > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
      > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
      > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

      I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
      storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
      added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
      reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
      limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
      to 0.0.

      This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
      this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
      people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
      and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :-X My lips are sealed

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
        If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
        don't have to go finding it.

        > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
        > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
        > > do a search in it.
        > >
        > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB

        > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
        > > deleted to make room for new ones
        >
        > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at

        > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

        > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
        > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
        > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

        I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
        storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
        added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
        reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
        limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
        to 0.0.

        This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
        this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
        people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
        and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-X My lips are sealed

        /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net
        \\\
        /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org
        \\\
        \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org
        ///
        \\\ Lord Of The Rings helps Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html
        ///
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          David Fishburn wrote:

          > Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
          > If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
          > don't have to go finding it.

          Unfortunately this is a bit complicated. Yahoo has made it difficult to
          send them a message. There is no e-mail address published.

          To get to the web form:
          - Go to the vim-dev maillist archive:
          - Select "Help" in the right upper corner.
          - Enter something in the "search" box, e.g., "limit".
          - Select one of the results, e.g., "How much space is there per group
          for files?".
          - Below "Is this enough information?" click on "No".
          - Enter your Yahoo ID and password (you can get one there).
          - Finally you can fill out the form.

          If someone knows a simpler method, post it please!

          --
          From "know your smileys":
          2B|^2B Message from Shakespeare

        • Hari Krishna Dara
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            --- Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            > David Fishburn wrote:
            >
            > > Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
            > > If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
            > > don't have to go finding it.
            >
            > Unfortunately this is a bit complicated. Yahoo has made it difficult to
            > send them a message. There is no e-mail address published.
            >
            > To get to the web form:
            > - Go to the vim-dev maillist archive:
            > - Select "Help" in the right upper corner.
            > - Enter something in the "search" box, e.g., "limit".
            > - Select one of the results, e.g., "How much space is there per group
            > for files?".
            > - Below "Is this enough information?" click on "No".
            > - Enter your Yahoo ID and password (you can get one there).
            > - Finally you can fill out the form.
            >
            > If someone knows a simpler method, post it please!

            Seems like you can use the below url to go directly to the form. There seems to
            be no session information in it and you need to enter the group name in the
            form anyway.

            http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_start?from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp%2Eyahoo%2Ecom%2Fhelp%2Fus%2Fgroups%2Fgroups%2D42%2Ehtml

            Hari.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com