Attention! warning message at yahoo groups

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 27 1:44 PM
      I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to do a search
      in it.

      Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB by 0.0 MB.
      If you don't remove messages, older messages will be deleted to make room for
      new ones

      Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the group. Are the messages
      archived anywhere else? Are they gone for good if yahoo groups removes the
      messages?

      Hari

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28 3:32 AM
        Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

        > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to do
        > a search in it.
        >

        > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB
        > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
        > deleted to make room for new ones
        >
        > Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the group. Are the messages
        > archived anywhere else? Are they gone for good if yahoo groups removes the
        > messages?

        The message sounds terrifying. But I don't see it. Can you still get
        that message somehow?

        81. At social functions you introduce your husband as "my domain server."

      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28 5:18 AM
          From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

          > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
          >
          > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo
          > > groups page to do a search in it.
          > >
          > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage
          > > limits of 64 MB by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove
          > > messages, older messages will be deleted to make room
          > > for new ones
          >
          > The message sounds terrifying. But I don't see it. Can you still get
          > that message somehow?

          I find it here:

          Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 28 6:33 AM
            Steve Hall wrote:

            > From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>
            > >
            > > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
            > >
            > > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo
            > > > groups page to do a search in it.
            > > >
            > > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage
            > > > limits of 64 MB by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove
            > > > messages, older messages will be deleted to make room
            > > > for new ones
            > >
            > > The message sounds terrifying. But I don't see it. Can you still get
            > > that message somehow?
            >
            > I find it here:

            I can see it now. Hmm, if this is really the case, we should start
            thinking of moving the archive elsewhere. I'll contact someone at Yahoo
            to find out.

            You might want to complain to Yahoo customer support anyway. Perhaps it
            helps when several people complain.

            --
            Ed's Radiator Shop: The Best Place in Town to Take a Leak.

          • Steve Hall
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 28 10:49 AM
              From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

              > Steve Hall wrote:
              > >
              > > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage
              > > > limits of 64 MB by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove
              > > > messages, older messages will be deleted to make
              > > > room for new ones
              > >
              > > I find it here:
              >
              > I can see it now. Hmm, if this is really the case, we
              > should start thinking of moving the archive elsewhere.
              > I'll contact someone at Yahoo to find out.
              >
              > You might want to complain to Yahoo customer support
              > anyway. Perhaps it helps when several people complain.

              Can I ask how the Vim lists became archived at Yahoo in the
              first place? Couldn't we migrate them to SourceForge some
              how? I'd be willing to chip in a few bucks if we need
              a little extra storage space. (I'm sure bandwidth isn't an
              issue.) How can we help?

              Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 28 11:26 AM
                Roman Neuhauser wrote:

                > # Bram@... / 2002-09-28 15:33:04 +0200:
                > > Steve Hall wrote:
                > > > From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

                > > > I find it here:
                > >
                > > I can see it now. Hmm, if this is really the case, we should start
                > > thinking of moving the archive elsewhere. I'll contact someone at Yahoo
                > > to find out.
                >
                > you might want to read this:
                > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim&m=103321996415592&w=2

                It's good to know there is a backup archive. It doesn't appear to go
                all the way back though.

                89. In addition to your e-mail address being on your business
                cards you even have your own domain.

              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 28 11:31 AM
                  Steve Hall wrote:

                  > Can I ask how the Vim lists became archived at Yahoo in the
                  > first place? Couldn't we migrate them to SourceForge some
                  > how? I'd be willing to chip in a few bucks if we need
                  > a little extra storage space. (I'm sure bandwidth isn't an
                  > issue.) How can we help?

                  Yahoo was providing a very good service until recently.

                  I'm not sure if sourceforge is so much better. Does someone have
                  experience with archiving a high volume list there? I do know they add
                  short advertisements to messages that go to a list, but will only want
                  to use the archive. Hmm, I'm not even sure they do archiving-only.

                  90. Instead of calling you to dinner, your spouse sends e-mail.

                • Hari Krishna Dara
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 30 12:32 PM
                    --- Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                    > Steve Hall wrote:
                    >
                    > > From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>

                    > > > The message sounds terrifying. But I don't see it. Can you still get
                    > > > that message somehow?
                    > >
                    > > I find it here:
                    >
                    > I can see it now. Hmm, if this is really the case, we should start
                    > thinking of moving the archive elsewhere. I'll contact someone at Yahoo
                    > to find out.
                    >
                    > You might want to complain to Yahoo customer support anyway. Perhaps it
                    > helps when several people complain.

                    I didn't complain but sent a mail immediately asking how we can get an archive
                    of the entire messages. I don't know if I will get a reply, but I hope we can
                    perhaps make a one time payment and get a copy of the archive. I didn't find
                    any information in their help though. But I think we should act as soon as
                    possible. I will send a new mail with a complaint too.

                    Hari

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • Gary Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 30 2:03 PM
                      On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                      > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to do a search
                      > in it.
                      >

                      > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB by 0.0 MB.
                      > If you don't remove messages, older messages will be deleted to make room for
                      > new ones

                      It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at
                      about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

                      It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
                      would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
                      either a bug in their software or a policy change.

                      Gary

                      --
                      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                      garyjohn@... | Spokane, Washington, USA
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                        Gary Johnson wrote:

                        > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                        > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
                        > > do a search in it.
                        > >
                        > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB
                        > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
                        > > deleted to make room for new ones
                        >
                        > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at
                        > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

                        > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
                        > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
                        > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

                        I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
                        storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
                        added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
                        reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
                        limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
                        to 0.0.

                        This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
                        this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
                        people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
                        and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

                        --
                        From "know your smileys":
                        :-X My lips are sealed

                      • David Fishburn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                          Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
                          If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
                          don't have to go finding it.

                          > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                          > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
                          > > do a search in it.
                          > >
                          > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB

                          > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
                          > > deleted to make room for new ones
                          >
                          > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at

                          > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

                          > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
                          > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
                          > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

                          I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
                          storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
                          added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
                          reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
                          limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
                          to 0.0.

                          This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
                          this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
                          people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
                          and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

                          --
                          From "know your smileys":
                          :-X My lips are sealed

                          /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net
                          \\\
                          /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org
                          \\\
                          \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org
                          ///
                          \\\ Lord Of The Rings helps Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html
                          ///
                        • Bram Moolenaar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                            David Fishburn wrote:

                            > Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
                            > If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
                            > don't have to go finding it.

                            Unfortunately this is a bit complicated. Yahoo has made it difficult to
                            send them a message. There is no e-mail address published.

                            To get to the web form:
                            - Go to the vim-dev maillist archive:
                            - Select "Help" in the right upper corner.
                            - Enter something in the "search" box, e.g., "limit".
                            - Select one of the results, e.g., "How much space is there per group
                            for files?".
                            - Below "Is this enough information?" click on "No".
                            - Enter your Yahoo ID and password (you can get one there).
                            - Finally you can fill out the form.

                            If someone knows a simpler method, post it please!

                            --
                            From "know your smileys":
                            2B|^2B Message from Shakespeare

                          • Hari Krishna Dara
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                              --- Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                              > David Fishburn wrote:
                              >
                              > > Bram is there a web page where we can complain.
                              > > If someone can supply the URL, I am sure more people will complain if we
                              > > don't have to go finding it.
                              >
                              > Unfortunately this is a bit complicated. Yahoo has made it difficult to
                              > send them a message. There is no e-mail address published.
                              >
                              > To get to the web form:
                              > - Go to the vim-dev maillist archive:
                              > - Select "Help" in the right upper corner.
                              > - Enter something in the "search" box, e.g., "limit".
                              > - Select one of the results, e.g., "How much space is there per group
                              > for files?".
                              > - Below "Is this enough information?" click on "No".
                              > - Enter your Yahoo ID and password (you can get one there).
                              > - Finally you can fill out the form.
                              >
                              > If someone knows a simpler method, post it please!

                              Seems like you can use the below url to go directly to the form. There seems to
                              be no session information in it and you need to enter the group name in the
                              form anyway.

                              http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_start?from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp%2Eyahoo%2Ecom%2Fhelp%2Fus%2Fgroups%2Fgroups%2D42%2Ehtml

                              Hari.

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com