Blank lines in status line appearing when running functions

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2002
      Vim 6.1.165 W2K

      I use the echo statement to display information to the user when my
      function is executed.
      What is happening is I am getting a number of blanks lines showing up
      before my actual echo statement, this also means I am getting the
      dreaded "Hit Enter of type command to continue".
      From previous posts this occurs when the status line is > 100 characters
      (or I guess multiple lines).
      I believe this is happening since there are multiple echo lines.

      I have narrowed this down via the debugger to the following lines:
      You can see below in the debugger output there are no blanks lines
      between these commands, until this command:
      silent normal! /^[ \t]*create.*table.*\<child\>

      Which results in an extra blank line to the status line.

      Does anyone know why I get this line, and how to prevent it.

      Here is the full debug output.
      TIA,
      Dave

      function <SNR>18_CreateMLScripts..CreateColumnList
      line 41: let cmd = 'silent normal! gg'."\n"

      function <SNR>18_CreateMLScripts..CreateColumnList
      line 43: exe cmd
      >echo cmd
      silent normal! gg
      function <SNR>18_CreateMLScripts..CreateColumnList
      line 44: let cmd = 'silent normal! /'.srch_create_table."\n"
      function <SNR>18_CreateMLScripts..CreateColumnList
      line 45: exe cmd
      >echo cmd
      silent normal! /^[ \t]*create.*table.*\<child\>

      function <SNR>18_CreateMLScripts..CreateColumnList
      line 48: let cmd = cmd . '/('."\n".'j'