Vim 6.1 Crash on startup (Windows2000)

  • Matthias Ulrich
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002

      I am facing a Problem with my Vim, it sometimes crashes very badly.
      It seems to happen when I open a file for editing, but I could never
      reproduce
      the bug. Now I can.

      I have a certain file, when I open it with "Edit in Vim" on my machine, VIM
      imediately crashes
      with a memory access violation.

      First of all it's quite anoying for me, but mainly I want to contribute to
      the vim development
      locating and removing this bug.

      The bug seems to be not very reproducable, and mabye its also reladed to
      some of my plugins and
      mappings...

      If anybody is intreseted I would love to help to loacate and eliminate this
      bug.
      I could also recompile, debug and more, if someone would give me some input
      where to start.

      ---
      :version

      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 24 2002 16:04:44)
      MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
      Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +dialog_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
      +ex_extra
      +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
      +gettext/dyn
      -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall
      +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname
      +mouse +mouseshape +multi_byte_ime/dyn +multi_lang +ole -osfiletype
      +path_extra
      +perl/dyn -postscript +printer +python/dyn +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
      +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
      +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl/dyn -tgetent -termresponse
      +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
      +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
      -xfontset -xim -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
      2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
      2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
      2nd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
      system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
      Compilation: cl -c /W3
      /nologo -DWIN32 -D_WIN32 -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWI
      N32 -DNDEBUG /Ox
      /Zi -DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME -DDYNAMIC_IME -DFEAT_GUI_W32
      -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DFEAT_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL_DL
      L="t
      cl83.dll" -DDYNAMIC_TCL_VER="8.3" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_P
      YTHO
      N_DLL="python21.dll" -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL_DLL="perl56.d
      ll"
      Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:windows /incremental:no
      /nodefaultlib:
      libc advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib ole32.lib uuid.lib
      oldnames
      .lib kernel32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comctl32.lib advapi32.lib
      shell32.lib
      /machine:i386 /nodefaultlib libc.lib oleaut32.lib user32.lib
      /nodefaultlib
      :python21.lib e:\tcl\lib\tclstub83.lib /PDB:.\ObjGO/

      Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen / Best Regards
      Matthias Ulrich
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
        Matthias Ulrich wrote:

        > I am facing a Problem with my Vim, it sometimes crashes very badly.
        > It seems to happen when I open a file for editing, but I could never
        > reproduce the bug. Now I can.
        >
        > I have a certain file, when I open it with "Edit in Vim" on my machine, VIM
        > imediately crashes with a memory access violation.
        >
        > First of all it's quite anoying for me, but mainly I want to contribute to
        > the vim development locating and removing this bug.
        >
        > The bug seems to be not very reproducable, and mabye its also reladed to
        > some of my plugins and mappings...
        >
        > If anybody is intreseted I would love to help to loacate and eliminate this
        > bug. I could also recompile, debug and more, if someone would give me
        > some input where to start.

        First of all try starting gvim from the command line on this file:

        gvim filename

        If this doesn't crash, try a few variations to find out why (from a
        different directory, use the full path name).
        If this does crash, try:

        gvim -u NONE -u NONE filename

        If it doesn't crash, go back to the previous command and try removing
        things from your _vimrc and/or _gvimrc files until it no longer crashes.
        Then you can figure out what command causes the crash.

        You can also try compiling Vim for debugging and start it in a debugger.

        --
        CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be
        long.

      • Matthias Ulrich
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002

          Bram@... [mailto:Bram@...] wrote:

          > First of all try starting gvim from the command line on this file:
          >
          > gvim filename

          Doesn't crash.

          > If this doesn't crash, try a few variations to find out why (from a
          > different directory, use the full path name).

          I couldn't make it crash from the commandline at all...

          I went to different drives, different directories, same directory,
          complete filename and path, just filename, ... almost all variations...
          No crash.

          What's the difference between the windows context menu "Edit in Vim"
          and the commandline "gvim filename"

          Is there anybody facing similar problems on Windows2000???

          Matthias
        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
            Yes, I have similar problems (W2K).

            Occassionally when I :e file_name it will crash.

            I am using 6.1.165. I have recently built the debug versions and now I
            run those in case this happens again (been a week now without). If it
            does happen, I hope to post the call stack to see if that will help
            narrow down the problem.

            Dave

            > First of all try starting gvim from the command line on this file:
            >
            > gvim filename

            Doesn't crash.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2002
              Okay, it just happened again.
              I have been running with 6.1.165 W2K from the source that I have built.

              I have caught the exception in Microsoft Visual Studio (I still have it
              running).
              I have never looked at the source before.

              Here is the call stack:
              in_id_list(state_item * 0x0111ae48, short * 0x00000000, sp_syn *
              0x01730470, int 0) line 5566 + 20 bytes
              syn_current_attr(int 0, int 1) line 1884 + 173 bytes
              get_syntax_attr(unsigned int 1) line 1678 + 9 bytes
              win_line(window * 0x010faed0, long 1, int 0, int 37) line 3313 + 15
              bytes
              win_update(window * 0x010faed0) line 1619 + 24 bytes
              update_screen(int 40) line 501 + 9 bytes
              main_loop(int 0) line 1978 + 7 bytes
              VimMain() line 1883 + 7 bytes
              WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * 0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ * 0x00000000, char *
              0x00232c7f, int 10) line 204 + 14 bytes
              WinMainCRTStartup() line 198 + 54 bytes
              KERNEL32! 77e8d326()

              It crashed at this line:
              if (in_id_list(NULL, ssp->cont_in_list,
              &(SYN_ITEMS(syn_buf)[cur_si->si_idx].sp_syn),
              SYN_ITEMS(syn_buf)[cur_si->si_idx].sp_flags &
              HL_CONTAINED))

              From this block of code:
              /* If spp has a "containedin" list and "cur_si" is in it, return
              TRUE. */
              if (cur_si != NULL && ssp->cont_in_list != NULL)
              {
              /* Ignore transparent items without a contains argument. */
              while (cur_si->si_flags & HL_TRANS_CONT)
              --cur_si;
              if (in_id_list(NULL, ssp->cont_in_list,
              &(SYN_ITEMS(syn_buf)[cur_si->si_idx].sp_syn),
              SYN_ITEMS(syn_buf)[cur_si->si_idx].sp_flags &
              HL_CONTAINED))
              return TRUE;
              }

              I still have this in the debugger, if that will help anyone.
              I will leave it in the debugger for a while (assuming I can still edit
              the files I need to), if anyone would like me to get more information
              (assuming they have time).

              Thanks,
              Dave

              > First of all try starting gvim from the command line on this file:
              >
              > gvim filename

              Doesn't crash.

              > If this doesn't crash, try a few variations to find out why (from a
              > different directory, use the full path name).

              I couldn't make it crash from the commandline at all...

              I went to different drives, different directories, same directory,
              complete filename and path, just filename, ... almost all variations...
              No crash.

              What's the difference between the windows context menu "Edit in Vim"
              and the commandline "gvim filename"

              Is there anybody facing similar problems on Windows2000???

              Matthias
            • Charles E. Campbell
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2002
                On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:30:50AM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:
                > Okay, it just happened again. I have been running with 6.1.165 W2K
                > from the source that I have built.
                >
                > I have caught the exception in Microsoft Visual Studio...

                Hello!

                I was wondering, as you never commented on it, did you ever fix the
                SQLFormat() function problem I pointed out during your previously
                reported crash? As I recall there was a line...

                '<,'<g/^\s*$/d

                (although I thought it was meant to be '<,'>g/^\s*$/d) that deleted
                empty/white-space-only lines. The problem I pointed out was that this
                operation could leave the '< and '> marks ill-defined (some huge number
                resulted with your example). Subsequent code in that function was
                re-using '< and '>, and the previous crash came later during such a
                re-use.

                The trick I use is to put empty guard lines above and below

                " save x,y marks
                b:xline= line("'x")
                b:xcol = virtcol("'x")
                b:yline= line("'y")
                b:ycol = virtcol("'y")

                norm! '>
                put =''
                kx
                norm! '<
                put! =''
                ky

                then, instead of '< and '> I'd suggest using 'x+1,'y-1. When your
                script is done it can restore the marks.

                if b:xline != 0
                exe "norm! ".b:xline."G".b:xcol."\<bar>"
                endif
                if b:yline != 0
                eye "norm! ".b:yline."G".b:ycol."\<bar>"
                endif

                You can also use Benji Fisher's Mark() functions from his <foo.vim>
                to save and restore marks (on http://vim.sf.net)

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell

                --
                Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
                cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 12, 2002
                  > I was wondering, as you never commented on it, did you ever fix the
                  SQLFormat() function problem I pointed out during your previously
                  reported crash? As I recall there was a line...

                  Yes, after the changes you suggested I put in the code that functions
                  you provided.
                  Very similar to what you do in Align.vim.

                  So everything references 'y+1 and 'z-1 instead of '<,'>.

                  Dave