setting font and fontsize in VIM

  • Mark Khemma
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30 6:15 PM
      Hello ascii manglers,

      how do i set the font and the font size in gvim?
      i know how to set the gui font type but not the
      font size or its attributs.

      :set gfn=courier turns my window to courier turns to its obvious font
      type, but what is the :set command which sets the size? And if i download
      new fonts will gvim detect them? would i have to put them in a specific
      folder?
      thanks,
      mark .k
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30 6:41 PM
        > how do i set the font and the font size in gvim?
        > i know how to set the gui font type but not the
        > font size or its attributs.
        >
        > :set gfn=courier turns my window to courier turns to its obvious font
        > type, but what is the :set command which sets the size? And if i download
        > new fonts will gvim detect them? would i have to put them in a specific
        > folder?
        > thanks,
        > mark .k

        If you :set guifont=* you'll get a font menu where you can set, among other
        things, the font's size. Once you have set it, do :set guifont? to see what
        has been set. In my currently-open W98 gvim window, I have
        guifont=Lucida_Console:h11:cDEFAULT (h is the height and c is the character
        set).

        see :help 'guifont'

        Tony.
      • Mark Khemma
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30 8:06 PM
          Hello Antoine,
          Thanks, that helped. But now my next question is if i download new
          TrueType fonts, how do i get Gvim to recognize them. At the moment i have
          literally 5 fonts to choose from. Are those my only options? or can i
          import more fonts (the fonts from my control panel/Fonts for instance).
          Thanks,
          Mark .k

          On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

          > > :set gfn=courier turns my window to courier turns to its obvious font
          > >
          > If you :set guifont=* you'll get a font menu where you can set, among other
          > things, the font's size. Once you have set it, do :set guifont? to see what
          > has been set. In my currently-open W98 gvim window, I have
          > guifont=Lucida_Console:h11:cDEFAULT (h is the height and c is the character
          > set).
          >
          > see :help 'guifont'
          >
          > Tony.

        • Hiroshi Iwatani
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30 10:58 PM
            I believe registration of new fonts is not
            a gvim issue but a system issue. In other
            words, applications only refer to the system
            font list and display them for selection.

            Mark Khemma wrote:
            > Hello Antoine,
            > Thanks, that helped. But now my next question is if i download new
            > TrueType fonts, how do i get Gvim to recognize them. At the moment i have
            > literally 5 fonts to choose from. Are those my only options? or can i
            > import more fonts (the fonts from my control panel/Fonts for instance).
            > Thanks,
            > Mark .k
            >

            > On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
            >

            >>>:set gfn=courier turns my window to courier turns to its obvious font
            >>>

            >>If you :set guifont=* you'll get a font menu where you can set, among other
            >>things, the font's size. Once you have set it, do :set guifont? to see what
            >>has been set. In my currently-open W98 gvim window, I have
            >>guifont=Lucida_Console:h11:cDEFAULT (h is the height and c is the character
            >>set).
            >>
            >>see :help 'guifont'
            >>
            >>Tony.

          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31 4:11 AM
              Remember, vim can only display fixed-width fonts.

              HTH --Benji Fisher

              Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:

              > I believe registration of new fonts is not
              > a gvim issue but a system issue. In other
              > words, applications only refer to the system
              > font list and display them for selection.
              >
              > Mark Khemma wrote:
              > > Hello Antoine,
              > > Thanks, that helped. But now my next question is if i download new
              > > TrueType fonts, how do i get Gvim to recognize them. At the moment i have
              > > literally 5 fonts to choose from. Are those my only options? or can i
              > > import more fonts (the fonts from my control panel/Fonts for instance).
            • Juan Lanus
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31 6:56 AM
                Mark Khemma wrote:
                > Hello Antoine,
                > Thanks, that helped. But now my next question is if i download new
                > TrueType fonts, how do i get Gvim to recognize them. At the moment i
                have
                > literally 5 fonts to choose from. Are those my only options? or can i
                > import more fonts (the fonts from my control panel/Fonts for instance).
                > Thanks,
                > Mark .k
                >

                > On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                >

                >>>:set gfn=courier turns my window to courier turns to its obvious font
                >>>

                >>If you :set guifont=* you'll get a font menu where you can set, among
                other
                >>things, the font's size. Once you have set it, do :set guifont? to
                see what
                >>has been set. In my currently-open W98 gvim window, I have
                >>guifont=Lucida_Console:h11:cDEFAULT (h is the height and c is the
                character
                >>set).
                >>
                >>see :help 'guifont'
                >>
                >>Tony.

                Mark:
                In vim we can only use fixed-pitch fonts like Courier, Lucida Console,
                Terminal, ...
                I have eight of them, but only use Lucida Console bacause I find it the
                most compact among the easy to read.
                Lucida Sans, for example, is a pain.
                And yes, if you install more fonts they will show in vim as long as they
                are of the fixed kind.

                Good luck!
                Juan Lanus
                TECNOSOL
                Argentina
              • Mark Khemma
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31 1:35 PM
                  hello Juan,
                  Do you know of any sites which carry fixed pitched/width fonts?
                  thanks,
                  mark.k

                  On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Juan Lanus wrote:

                  > And yes, if you install more fonts they will show in vim as long as they
                  > are of the fixed kind.

                • Juan Lanus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
                    Mark Khemma wrote:

                    >hello Juan,
                    >Do you know of any sites which carry fixed pitched/width fonts?

                    Not specially ...
                    I just made a fast search in google for [ font "fixed width" download ]
                    and it showed several pages.
                    I settled with "Lucida Console" (Windows NT) some time ago and I use it
                    anywhere, so I don't seek for more.
                    You might find fancy fonts, but they are ont very legible, like "Lucida
                    Sans Typewriter" or "MS Gothic", "Courier Thai", ...
                    These fonts are decorative and fit well in artwork. But if you have to
                    read ans write it for several hours a day then you need ergonomic fonts,
                    and I think "Lucida Console" is ons.
                    Please let me know if you find something interesting

                    Good luck!

                    Juan Lanus
                    TECNOSOL
                    Argentina

                    >thanks,
                    >mark.k
                    >
                    >On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Juan Lanus wrote:
                    >

                    >>And yes, if you install more fonts they will show in vim as long as they
                    >>are of the fixed kind.

                  • Alan G Isaac
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
                      On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:35:15 -0500 (CDT) Mark Khemma <mkhemma@...> wrote:
                      > Do you know of any sites which carry fixed pitched/width fonts?

                      http://home.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/
                      Alan Isaac
                    • Hugo Ahlenius
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
                        There used to be a font called "Andale Mono" available on
                        Microsofts "TrueType core fonts for the Web" page, but they recently
                        removed those. It might also be installed with some MS products (like IE,
                        WinXP or Office 2k/XP).

                        It is not as good as Lucida Console though, but I have used for some time.

                        /Hugo

                        <fraxinus@...>