To Dr. Chip: Comments on engspchk.vim plugin

  • yahoogroups@vikas.mailshell.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      charles.campbell.1@... is bouncing back. cec@... is
      also bouncing! what is a good email address for you?
      ---x---

      Your engspchk.vim plugin looks very cool. Few comments:

      1. I dont see the Webster 1913 dictionary wb1913_engspchk.vim file in your
      latest tarball. Where can I get this? Is this no longer needed?

      2. I put engspchk.vim in my plugin folder. Restarted Vim. Loaded it using the
      DrChip menu entry. Now when I mis-spell a word, it gets highlighted in Error hl
      group. So far so good.

      Now when I :bd! my buffer and start to edit a new buffer, your plugin stops
      working. Even the menu entry has changed to EngSpchk (ie.. the Load dictionary
      entry is gone).

      When I re-load it manually using \ec ,I get 'No menu by that name'. Presumably
      I get this because the plugin tries to aunmenu DrChip.Load Dictionary item?

      What is going on? How can I make this is a global always-active plugin?

      3. Related to (2) above, if I want to temporarily disable the spell-checking
      for a particular buffer (because I am typing technical words or typing in a
      non-Engligh language or whatever), how can I do it?

      Thanks, as always.

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
        Thus saith yahoogroups@...:
        > charles.campbell.1@... is bouncing back. cec@... is
        > also bouncing! what is a good email address for you?
        > ---x---

        I don't know why either address is bouncing mail; I was unaware that it
        was doing so. I know that if you send attachments to
        charles.campbell.1@... that the email reflector will bounce
        messages (Goddard no longer trusts attachments) if they end in a binary
        or script suffix (*.exe *.com *.vbs etc) to prevent viruses.

        Hmm -- I see that the email reflector somehow thinks that
        Charles.Campbell.1@... is ambiguous, but
        Charles.Campbell@... isn't. The full address is
        Charles.e.Campbell.1@....

        The cec@... email should work. I don't know why
        email to it would have bounced (of course, its an old SGI so it doesn't
        grok attachments anyway).

        > Your engspchk.vim plugin looks very cool. Few comments:

        Thank you!

        > 1. I don't see the Webster 1913 dictionary wb1913_engspchk.vim file in your
        > latest tarball. Where can I get this? Is this no longer needed?

        Sorry 'bout that! I'm planning on a new release of <engspchk.vim>
        soon so I'll make sure its included.

        > 2. I put engspchk.vim in my plugin folder.
        >
        > Now when I :bd! my buffer and start to edit a new buffer, your plugin
        > stops working. Even the menu entry has changed to EngSpchk (ie.. the
        > Load dictionary entry is gone). What is going on? How can I make this
        > is a global always-active plugin?

        Engspchk is a syntax highlighting-based spelling checker. Syntax is
        associated with buffers (read a new buffer, get new syntax
        highlighting). Most syntax highlighting files contain a "syn clear"
        instruction which removes any previous syntax highlighting, including
        engspchk's.

        One way to keep the syntax highlighting loaded is to use

        :%d
        :0r (filename goes here)

        You could make a map for :wq and :bd to do that instead (the writer of
        the Hebrew version of engspchk did that) but having unexpected things
        happen from the user's viewpoint makes me nervous.

        > When I re-load it manually using \ec ,I get 'No menu by that name'.
        > Presumably I get this because the plugin tries to aunmenu DrChip.Load
        > Dictionary item?

        I've now added an extra line to the DrChip menu that says "Reload
        Engspchk". Its actually an "unmenu", but your presumption is
        otherwise correct. I've preceded the unmenu with a "silent!" which
        should at least suppress the error message.

        > 3. Related to (2) above, if I want to temporarily disable the
        > spell-checking for a particular buffer (because I am typing technical
        > words or typing in a non-English language or whatever), how can I do
        > it?

        Here are several approaches:

        1) type your technical words, but use \et to temporarily or
        \es to permanently save the word into your personal
        dictionary

        2) syn clear (will need to re-load via \ec)

        3) hi link BadWord None (use "hi link BadWord Error" to
        restore)

        In the email to my Charles.Campbell@... (which goes to my PC)
        you asked how to set up your personal dictionary. Other than setting
        CVIMSYN (or let $CVIMSYN=... in your <.vimrc>) to specify a path, the
        "\es" map will handle things. Engspchk itself will check if the user
        dictionary is present and if so will automatically load it.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __