HTML -> plain text in Outlook

  • Ondrejko, David
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Fellow Vimaniacs,

      Apparently this works perfectly. (I'm speaking of the idea of adding the
      Vim mailing list to one's personal address book in Outlook, and specifying
      that messages to that recipient are always to be sent in plain text only.)
      Perhaps this should be added to the list webpage or introductory email or
      something, so that if someone new joins they can quickly find out how to set
      M$ Outlook (and derivatives, I'm guessing) to Plain Text?

      -- Davyd

      * I'm really a very persuasive person; I can convince myself of anything.
    • Jay Glanville
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        > Apparently this works perfectly. (I'm speaking of the idea of adding the
        > Vim mailing list to one's personal address book in Outlook, and specifying
        > that messages to that recipient are always to be sent in plain text only.)
        > Perhaps this should be added to the list webpage or introductory email or
        > something, so that if someone new joins they can quickly find out how to
        set
        > M$ Outlook (and derivatives, I'm guessing) to Plain Text?
        >
        > -- Davyd
        >

        > * I'm really a very persuasive person; I can convince myself of anything.

        Note that this is only a problem for Outlook, and not Outlook Express (just
        touching on the 'derivatives' word). If you are going to document this for
        future vim mail list users, you might want to investigate whether or not MS
        Exchange mail servers also play a part.
        ---
        Jay Dickon Glanville
      • Nagle, Adrian
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
          I think MS Exchange does play some role. I haven't had this problem until
          recently. Of course my company's IT department hasn't run across this
          problem before, so hopefully they become familiar with it soon.

          The tip regarding the personal address book is useful. Hopefully this
          e-mail is now plain text. In Outlook 97, there is no plain text format
          menu. Only "Send Options" in the e-mail properties tab.

          Adrian
          --
          Adrian Nagle anagle@...
          Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
            Adrian,

            > The tip regarding the personal address book
            > is useful. Hopefully this e-mail is now plain
            > text. In Outlook 97, there is no plain text
            > format menu. Only "Send Options" in the e-mail
            > properties tab.

            I think it worked. I ended up with two copies, one in plain text and one in
            HTML. I'm guessing that the one to me was the one in HTML, as you and I
            have corresponded in that format before, but the one in plain text was the
            one to the mailing list. I agree that this is a *VERY* useful tip!

            -- Davyd
          • Jay Glanville
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
              > I think it worked. I ended up with two copies, one in plain text and one
              in
              > HTML. I'm guessing that the one to me was the one in HTML, as you and I
              > have corresponded in that format before, but the one in plain text was the
              > one to the mailing list. I agree that this is a *VERY* useful tip!
              >
              > -- Davyd

              I've been ending up with two copies also. However, I think that's because
              my name was in the To: list. I'm repling to one of the mails, and removing
              all but the vim mailing list entry. Therefore, there should only be one
              reply.
              ---
              Jay Dickon Glanville
              Today's Fortune:

              Humorists always sit at the children's table.
              -- Woody Allen