Re: sourcing the contents of a register

  • Douglas L . Potts
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:05:22AM -0400 Cory T. Echols wrote:
      > On 08/01, Douglas L . Potts wrote:
      > > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
      > > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
      > > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim magic
      > > to source the contents of the register (all without writing to the file
      > > system).
      >
      > Yank the relevant portions to a register (say "a), and then do
      > :exe @a. (The @a expands to the contents of the register).
      >
      > I just tried this for some simple cases and it seems to work, but I have
      > this feeling there may be caveats that I'm unaware of.
      I haven't run into any exceptions yet either. This fits what I was
      looking for a little better than Jurgen's suggestion. I think this was
      any expansions that are listed are handled correctly.

      I let you know if I find something that breaks this method, though I
      don't expect to.

      Thanks to you both, Cory and Jürgen.

      -Doug

      --
      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
      Douglas L. Potts
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        "Douglas L . Potts" wrote:

        > On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:05:22AM -0400 Cory T. Echols wrote:
        > > On 08/01, Douglas L . Potts wrote:
        > > > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
        > > > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
        > > > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim magic
        > > > to source the contents of the register (all without writing to the file
        > > > system).
        > >
        > > Yank the relevant portions to a register (say "a), and then do
        > > :exe @a. (The @a expands to the contents of the register).
        > >
        > > I just tried this for some simple cases and it seems to work, but I have
        > > this feeling there may be caveats that I'm unaware of.
        > I haven't run into any exceptions yet either. This fits what I was
        > looking for a little better than Jurgen's suggestion. I think this was
        > any expansions that are listed are handled correctly.
        >
        > I let you know if I find something that breaks this method, though I
        > don't expect to.
        >
        > Thanks to you both, Cory and Jürgen.

        I tried yanking a function definition. With

        :execute @"

        it did not work. I think the :function command is special. Jürgen's
        suggestion,

        :@"

        worked fine.

        HTH --Benji Fisher