Re: vimbook pdf

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Tomas Vasko wrote:

      > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
      > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
      > vim book some time ago.
      >
      > Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
      > components and have converted all the html files from
      > http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
      > using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
      > is much more convenient for most people ;)
      >
      > You can find the pdf here:
      >
      > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

      Great work! It looks just like the real book.

      A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
      and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
      contents, introduction and foreword are missing.

      Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

      --
      How many light bulbs does it take to change a person?

    • Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        In article <200208011445.g71EjZv02101@...> of Thu, 1 Aug 2002
        16:45:35 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

        >Tomas Vasko wrote:
        >
        >> I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
        >> publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
        >> vim book some time ago.
        >>
        >> Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
        >> components and have converted all the html files from
        >> http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
        >> using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
        >> is much more convenient for most people ;)
        >>
        >> You can find the pdf here:
        >>
        >> http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf
        >
        >Great work! It looks just like the real book.
        >
        >A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
        >and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
        >contents, introduction and foreword are missing.
        >
        >Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

        I suspect Tomas's work will give little joy to New Riders.

        They don't have a consistent standard for OPL publishing and seem to
        leave things to their authors. I was much happier with the job done by
        the "Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" authors. Stephanie Wall was
        Executive Editor on both.

        I could use an archive of the .html pages if he provided it.

        I suppose I could convert the .pdf to text so I can grep.
        I DO know that much of the text is now in vim documentation.
        It is just that I am comfortable with using grep to find interesting
        text and then reading the physical book.
        --
        Walter Briscoe
      • Thorsten Maerz
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          Hi Bram,

          On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:45:35 +0200 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

          > Tomas Vasko wrote:
          >
          > > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
          > > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
          > > vim book some time ago.
          > > [...]
          > > You can find the pdf here:
          > >
          > > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

          > A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).

          Btw.: zooming into it reveals, that you already implemented

          > Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

          I am just talking with Ricardo Siges about better integration of
          vimdoc in vim.sf.net - and the book will surely get a link.

          Thorsten Maerz <torte@...>
          Sylpheed-claws/Win32: http://claws-w32.sf.net
        • PayalR
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
            Hi,
            It must be a great book. I am trying to d/l it. But we have low speed for
            download so will take about 1 hour maybe.
            Does he have an it in html format, maybe tar.gz or zipped so I can use it
            more properly?
            I always prefer .html to .pdf, and while I am allowed net connection only 15
            mins. a day I would prefer tar.gz file.
            Thanks a lot and bye.
            -Payal