Re: vimbook pdf

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:25:24PM +0200, Tomas Vasko wrote:
      > Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
      > components and have converted all the html files from
      > http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
      > using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
      > is much more convenient for most people ;)

      Wow, nice. Good work!

      --
      rjbs
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        Tomas Vasko wrote:

        > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
        > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
        > vim book some time ago.
        >
        > Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
        > components and have converted all the html files from
        > http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
        > using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
        > is much more convenient for most people ;)
        >
        > You can find the pdf here:
        >
        > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

        Great work! It looks just like the real book.

        A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
        and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
        contents, introduction and foreword are missing.

        Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

        --
        How many light bulbs does it take to change a person?

      • Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          In article <200208011445.g71EjZv02101@...> of Thu, 1 Aug 2002
          16:45:35 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

          >Tomas Vasko wrote:
          >
          >> I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
          >> publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
          >> vim book some time ago.
          >>
          >> Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
          >> components and have converted all the html files from
          >> http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
          >> using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
          >> is much more convenient for most people ;)
          >>
          >> You can find the pdf here:
          >>
          >> http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf
          >
          >Great work! It looks just like the real book.
          >
          >A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
          >and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
          >contents, introduction and foreword are missing.
          >
          >Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

          I suspect Tomas's work will give little joy to New Riders.

          They don't have a consistent standard for OPL publishing and seem to
          leave things to their authors. I was much happier with the job done by
          the "Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" authors. Stephanie Wall was
          Executive Editor on both.

          I could use an archive of the .html pages if he provided it.

          I suppose I could convert the .pdf to text so I can grep.
          I DO know that much of the text is now in vim documentation.
          It is just that I am comfortable with using grep to find interesting
          text and then reading the physical book.
          --
          Walter Briscoe
        • Thorsten Maerz
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            Hi Bram,

            On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:45:35 +0200 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            > Tomas Vasko wrote:
            >
            > > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
            > > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
            > > vim book some time ago.
            > > [...]
            > > You can find the pdf here:
            > >
            > > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

            > A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).

            Btw.: zooming into it reveals, that you already implemented

            > Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

            I am just talking with Ricardo Siges about better integration of
            vimdoc in vim.sf.net - and the book will surely get a link.

            Thorsten Maerz <torte@...>
            Sylpheed-claws/Win32: http://claws-w32.sf.net
          • PayalR
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
              Hi,
              It must be a great book. I am trying to d/l it. But we have low speed for
              download so will take about 1 hour maybe.
              Does he have an it in html format, maybe tar.gz or zipped so I can use it
              more properly?
              I always prefer .html to .pdf, and while I am allowed net connection only 15
              mins. a day I would prefer tar.gz file.
              Thanks a lot and bye.
              -Payal