vimbook pdf

  • Tomas Vasko
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hello all;

      I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
      publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
      vim book some time ago.

      Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
      components and have converted all the html files from
      http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
      using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
      is much more convenient for most people ;)

      You can find the pdf here:

      http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

      bye,
      tomas

      --
      The more I see, The less I believe...
    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:25:24PM +0200, Tomas Vasko wrote:
        > Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
        > components and have converted all the html files from
        > http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
        > using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
        > is much more convenient for most people ;)

        Wow, nice. Good work!

        --
        rjbs
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          Tomas Vasko wrote:

          > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
          > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
          > vim book some time ago.
          >
          > Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
          > components and have converted all the html files from
          > http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
          > using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
          > is much more convenient for most people ;)
          >
          > You can find the pdf here:
          >
          > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

          Great work! It looks just like the real book.

          A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
          and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
          contents, introduction and foreword are missing.

          Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

          --
          How many light bulbs does it take to change a person?

        • Walter Briscoe
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            In article <200208011445.g71EjZv02101@...> of Thu, 1 Aug 2002
            16:45:35 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

            >Tomas Vasko wrote:
            >
            >> I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
            >> publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
            >> vim book some time ago.
            >>
            >> Finally I have found some time to learn a bit using M$ ActiveX
            >> components and have converted all the html files from
            >> http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710015.html
            >> using M$ IE rendering engine into the PDF format, which, I hope,
            >> is much more convenient for most people ;)
            >>
            >> You can find the pdf here:
            >>
            >> http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf
            >
            >Great work! It looks just like the real book.
            >
            >A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).
            >and the aligning in the appendices looks a bit messed up. The table of
            >contents, introduction and foreword are missing.
            >
            >Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

            I suspect Tomas's work will give little joy to New Riders.

            They don't have a consistent standard for OPL publishing and seem to
            leave things to their authors. I was much happier with the job done by
            the "Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" authors. Stephanie Wall was
            Executive Editor on both.

            I could use an archive of the .html pages if he provided it.

            I suppose I could convert the .pdf to text so I can grep.
            I DO know that much of the text is now in vim documentation.
            It is just that I am comfortable with using grep to find interesting
            text and then reading the physical book.
            --
            Walter Briscoe
          • Thorsten Maerz
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
              Hi Bram,

              On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:45:35 +0200 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

              > Tomas Vasko wrote:
              >
              > > I have noticed a discussion here about troubles with the
              > > publishing format of the OPL version of the Steve Oualline's
              > > vim book some time ago.
              > > [...]
              > > You can find the pdf here:
              > >
              > > http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

              > A few minor flaws are that some pictures are hard to read (e.g. 1.2).

              Btw.: zooming into it reveals, that you already implemented

              > Can we add this to the vimdoc project?

              I am just talking with Ricardo Siges about better integration of
              vimdoc in vim.sf.net - and the book will surely get a link.

              Thorsten Maerz <torte@...>
              Sylpheed-claws/Win32: http://claws-w32.sf.net
            • PayalR
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
                Hi,
                It must be a great book. I am trying to d/l it. But we have low speed for
                download so will take about 1 hour maybe.
                Does he have an it in html format, maybe tar.gz or zipped so I can use it
                more properly?
                I always prefer .html to .pdf, and while I am allowed net connection only 15
                mins. a day I would prefer tar.gz file.
                Thanks a lot and bye.
                -Payal