Re: gvim and VNC

  • Thorsten Maerz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Robin,

      On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:48:48 +0100 Robin Becker <robin@...> wrote:

      > Whilst setting up a remote machine using ATT VNC remote desktop viewer I
      > noticed that gvim seems to exit so fast that VNC doesn't manage to
      > repaint properly so I have a virtual gvim on my virtual desktop.
      >
      > Is this a result of something gvim does or more likely a VNC buglet?

      Lazy redraw of VNC. Try TightVNC, it offers better compression
      and thus faster screen redraws. I use gVim/TVNC quite regularly
      across system borders without those redraw problems.

      http://www.tightvnc.com/

      HTH
      --
      Thorsten Maerz <torte@...>
      Sylpheed-claws/Win32: http://claws-w32.sf.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        In article <20020801155724.00005e58.torte@...>, Thorsten Maerz
        <torte@...> writes
        >Hi Robin,
        >
        >On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:48:48 +0100 Robin Becker <robin@...>
        >wrote:
        >
        >> Whilst setting up a remote machine using ATT VNC remote desktop viewer I
        >> noticed that gvim seems to exit so fast that VNC doesn't manage to
        >> repaint properly so I have a virtual gvim on my virtual desktop.
        >>
        >> Is this a result of something gvim does or more likely a VNC buglet?
        >
        >Lazy redraw of VNC. Try TightVNC, it offers better compression
        >and thus faster screen redraws. I use gVim/TVNC quite regularly
        >across system borders without those redraw problems.
        >
        >http://www.tightvnc.com/
        >
        >HTH

        thanks, I suppose even with our 10Mb/s ethernet speed could be an issue.

        I guess my only worry would be about security. I know that VNC has
        issues and I suppose all derivatives do as well, certainly the ability
        to tunnel through ssh is nice.
        --
        Robin Becker