gvim and VNC

  • Robin Becker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Whilst setting up a remote machine using ATT VNC remote desktop viewer I
      noticed that gvim seems to exit so fast that VNC doesn't manage to
      repaint properly so I have a virtual gvim on my virtual desktop.

      Is this a result of something gvim does or more likely a VNC buglet?
      --
      Robin Becker
    • Thorsten Maerz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi Robin,

        On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:48:48 +0100 Robin Becker <robin@...> wrote:

        > Whilst setting up a remote machine using ATT VNC remote desktop viewer I
        > noticed that gvim seems to exit so fast that VNC doesn't manage to
        > repaint properly so I have a virtual gvim on my virtual desktop.
        >
        > Is this a result of something gvim does or more likely a VNC buglet?

        Lazy redraw of VNC. Try TightVNC, it offers better compression
        and thus faster screen redraws. I use gVim/TVNC quite regularly
        across system borders without those redraw problems.

        http://www.tightvnc.com/

        HTH
        --
        Thorsten Maerz <torte@...>
        Sylpheed-claws/Win32: http://claws-w32.sf.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
          In article <20020801155724.00005e58.torte@...>, Thorsten Maerz
          <torte@...> writes
          >Hi Robin,
          >
          >On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:48:48 +0100 Robin Becker <robin@...>
          >wrote:
          >
          >> Whilst setting up a remote machine using ATT VNC remote desktop viewer I
          >> noticed that gvim seems to exit so fast that VNC doesn't manage to
          >> repaint properly so I have a virtual gvim on my virtual desktop.
          >>
          >> Is this a result of something gvim does or more likely a VNC buglet?
          >
          >Lazy redraw of VNC. Try TightVNC, it offers better compression
          >and thus faster screen redraws. I use gVim/TVNC quite regularly
          >across system borders without those redraw problems.
          >
          >http://www.tightvnc.com/
          >
          >HTH

          thanks, I suppose even with our 10Mb/s ethernet speed could be an issue.

          I guess my only worry would be about security. I know that VNC has
          issues and I suppose all derivatives do as well, certainly the ability
          to tunnel through ssh is nice.
          --
          Robin Becker