Re: Cycling Through Previously yanks

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
      rb@... wrote:

      > > This is an often overlooked feature. When you delete text, you may or may
      > > not want to paste it in later. You only yank text with the intention of pasting
      > > it. Thus it is good design that yanks are not overwritten by deletes.
      >
      > I've got the other behaviour,
      > if doing this:
      > yy
      > dd
      >
      > The line deleted by dd is put, and not the line yanked.
      > Or did I misundertand something?

      That's right. Try

      yy
      dd
      "0p

      So you get the most recent (yank or delete) most easily, from the unnamed
      (default or "") register, but you can get the most recent yank (not delete)
      using the "0 register.

      :help "0

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • David Fishburn

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14, 2002
          (oops, previous sent my mistake....)

          Benji made responded to this thread ...

          To cycle through deletes, you can do the following...
          dd
          dd
          dd
          dd
          "1P...

          or (instead of the last line)

          "1Pu.u.u.

          :help undo-remarks

          To get the most recent yank back...
          yy
          dd
          "0p

          So you get the most recent (yank or delete) most easily, from the
          unnamed (default or "") register, but you can get the most recent yank
          (not delete) using the "0 register.

          :help "0

          I have read through the help, but there does not seem to be any
          mechanism similar to "1P... For the 0 register. I just wanted to
          confirm there is no way to cycle through previous "unnamed" yanks.

          Thanks,
          Dave
        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2002
            David Fishburn wrote:

            > I have read through the help, but there does not seem to be any
            > mechanism similar to "1P... For the 0 register. I just wanted to
            > confirm there is no way to cycle through previous "unnamed" yanks.

            AFAIK that is right. You will have to name your yanks if you want this.

            HTH --Benji Fisher