Re: sourcing the contents of a register

  • Cory T. Echols
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      On 08/01, Douglas L . Potts wrote:
      > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
      > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
      > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim magic
      > to source the contents of the register (all without writing to the file
      > system).

      Yank the relevant portions to a register (say "a), and then do
      :exe @a. (The @a expands to the contents of the register).

      I just tried this for some simple cases and it seems to work, but I have
      this feeling there may be caveats that I'm unaware of.

      :he :exe
      :he expr-register

      --
      Cory T. Echols
      ctechols@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002

        "Douglas L . Potts" wrote:

        > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
        > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
        > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim
        > magic to source the contents of the register (all without writing to
        > the file system).

        does

        :@r

        work, if the relevant section is in register r? I just tested it with
        two lines and it seems to work, but I am not sure whether each line
        has to be prepended with a colon.

        Regards,
        Jürgen

        --
        Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung/-support
        Habel GmbH mailto:jkraemer@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
          On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:05:22AM -0400 Cory T. Echols wrote:
          > On 08/01, Douglas L . Potts wrote:
          > > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
          > > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
          > > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim magic
          > > to source the contents of the register (all without writing to the file
          > > system).
          >
          > Yank the relevant portions to a register (say "a), and then do
          > :exe @a. (The @a expands to the contents of the register).
          >
          > I just tried this for some simple cases and it seems to work, but I have
          > this feeling there may be caveats that I'm unaware of.
          I haven't run into any exceptions yet either. This fits what I was
          looking for a little better than Jurgen's suggestion. I think this was
          any expansions that are listed are handled correctly.

          I let you know if I find something that breaks this method, though I
          don't expect to.

          Thanks to you both, Cory and Jürgen.

          -Doug

          --
          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
          Douglas L. Potts
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
            "Douglas L . Potts" wrote:

            > On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:05:22AM -0400 Cory T. Echols wrote:
            > > On 08/01, Douglas L . Potts wrote:
            > > > I want to re-source part of my vimrc, without having to write the
            > > > section out to file, source that, and then delete it. I would love to
            > > > be able to copy the section into a register, and then do some vim magic
            > > > to source the contents of the register (all without writing to the file
            > > > system).
            > >
            > > Yank the relevant portions to a register (say "a), and then do
            > > :exe @a. (The @a expands to the contents of the register).
            > >
            > > I just tried this for some simple cases and it seems to work, but I have
            > > this feeling there may be caveats that I'm unaware of.
            > I haven't run into any exceptions yet either. This fits what I was
            > looking for a little better than Jurgen's suggestion. I think this was
            > any expansions that are listed are handled correctly.
            >
            > I let you know if I find something that breaks this method, though I
            > don't expect to.
            >
            > Thanks to you both, Cory and Jürgen.

            I tried yanking a function definition. With

            :execute @"

            it did not work. I think the :function command is special. Jürgen's
            suggestion,

            :@"

            worked fine.

            HTH --Benji Fisher