Autoindenting for non - C files

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
      W2K vim 6.1 (no updates)

      I am reading up on how the autoindent feature works.

      There is cinwords = cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch that
      automatically tells vim to indent when it encounters them.

      If I am editing a SQL file, I would like to do the same thing.
      I noticed that cinwords is already set (with the same values above) but
      nothing happens.

      I was wondering what else controls this and what changes will I have to
      make automatically set this up.

      If VIM is capable of doing it, I expect I should create a file in:
      vim61\ftplugin\sql.vim

      I can then set all my options so that are automatically picked up (just
      like c.vim).

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        I have looked into some of the other languages (vb.vim) that don't use
        curlys {}, and I don't see any autoindenting for them.

        It appears you can specify the words that force an indent:
        cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch

        But the indent isn't triggered until you type in a "{".

        So I guess the question becomes:
        Is there anyway to tell vim to use other characters to trigger an indent
        (ie THEN), since many languages look like this:

        If( ) then
        do something;
        again;
        end if;

        Thx,
        Dave

        I am reading up on how the autoindent feature works.

        There is cinwords = cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch that
        automatically tells vim to indent when it encounters them.

        If I am editing a SQL file, I would like to do the same thing. I noticed
        that cinwords is already set (with the same values above) but nothing
        happens.

        I was wondering what else controls this and what changes will I have to
        make automatically set this up.

        If VIM is capable of doing it, I expect I should create a file in:
        vim61\ftplugin\sql.vim

        I can then set all my options so they are automatically picked up (just
        like c.vim).

        Thanks,
        Dave
      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          I have found vim61\indent\ada.vim which has a similar syntax.

          So I am creating an indent file based on this.

          Sorry for the emails.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
            On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, David Fishburn wrote:

            > There is cinwords = cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch that
            > automatically tells vim to indent when it encounters them.
            >
            > If I am editing a SQL file, I would like to do the same thing.
            > I noticed that cinwords is already set (with the same values above) but
            > nothing happens.
            >
            > I was wondering what else controls this and what changes will I have to
            > make automatically set this up.
            >
            > If VIM is capable of doing it, I expect I should create a file in:
            > vim61\ftplugin\sql.vim

            Or create indent file (look in vim61\indent\ for examples)

            You can also try to find something on http://vim.sf.net

            But I don't know if there are only syntax files (for various sql dialects)
            or something more.

            Mikolaj