Couple of newbie questions about usr manual

  • Guido Van Hoecke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
      Hi, I have been and am still studying the usr and reference manuals.
      Vim and its documentation are truly a piece of art!

      I want to help where I can, and wonder whether following small
      modifications would be worthwhile to consider:

      1) Do I understand it correctly that line 351 of usr_40.txt should
      really start with 'executes' rather than 'Execute'?

      2) Without being fussy, line 383 of usr_41.txt could really say
      'Version 6.1 has the value 601' rather than '... will have the ...'.
      After all, the title line of 'help.txt' talks about version '6.1'.

      3) I was a bit confused about the output of the ':function show'
      command on line 825 of usr_41.txt: I expected that the two 'echohl'
      and the 'echo ""' of the original function would also be shown in
      the output. And it turned out that they are when you try the
      example. It would probably be better to show the matching output.

      4) Line 876 in section 41.8 should probably start with 'the' rather
      than 'The'.

      I hope this helps to further polish this brilliant piece of work.

      Guido.
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
        Guido van Hoecke wrote:

        > Hi, I have been and am still studying the usr and reference manuals.
        > Vim and its documentation are truly a piece of art!
        >
        > I want to help where I can, and wonder whether following small
        > modifications would be worthwhile to consider:
        >
        > 1) Do I understand it correctly that line 351 of usr_40.txt should
        > really start with 'executes' rather than 'Execute'?

        Yep.

        > 2) Without being fussy, line 383 of usr_41.txt could really say
        > 'Version 6.1 has the value 601' rather than '... will have the ...'.
        > After all, the title line of 'help.txt' talks about version '6.1'.

        The docs were written before version 6.1...

        > 3) I was a bit confused about the output of the ':function show'
        > command on line 825 of usr_41.txt: I expected that the two 'echohl'
        > and the 'echo ""' of the original function would also be shown in
        > the output. And it turned out that they are when you try the
        > example. It would probably be better to show the matching output.

        The Show() function is a bit long to use as an example here. I'll use
        SetSyn() for the example.

        > 4) Line 876 in section 41.8 should probably start with 'the' rather
        > than 'The'.

        Yes.

        > I hope this helps to further polish this brilliant piece of work.

        Thanks for your remarks. I keep polishing!

        76. Your ISP regards you as a business partner rather than as a customer.