Re: [BUG] set =... doesn't work?

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
      On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Andre Pang wrote:

      > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:20:30 -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      >>> Trying "set <Ins>=", set <Insert>=" or "set <S-Ins>=" works
      >>> perfectly, though. D'oh! I think this is a Vim bug.
      >>
      >> I am surprised that
      >>
      >> :set <Ins>=
      >>
      >> does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
      >> Does it do anything?
      >
      > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
      > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.

      My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
      there is no <Ins> option in vim.

      :help :set

      BTW, I am guessing that you are typing <Ins> literally (five
      characters).

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
        Isn't this in the same category with ":set t_xx=value" (define what code the
        keyboard sends when you press t_xx)?

        > >> I am surprised that
        > >>
        > >> :set <Ins>=
        > >>
        > >> does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
        > >> Does it do anything?
        > >
        > > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
        > > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.
        >
        > My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
        > there is no <Ins> option in vim.
        >
        > :help :set
        >
        > BTW, I am guessing that you are typing <Ins> literally (five
        > characters).
        >
        > HTH --Benji Fisher

      • Preben Peppe Guldberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
          Thus wrote Antoine J. Mechelynck (antoine.mechelynck@...) on [020702]:
          > Isn't this in the same category with ":set t_xx=value" (define what code the
          > keyboard sends when you press t_xx)?

          Seems like a good guess. Is it true (anyone?)?

          > > On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Andre Pang wrote:

          > > > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
          > > > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.

          If this does anything worth while, it clears whatever this <Ins> option
          is as the '"*y' is a comment in this context.

          Andre, are you looking for eg.

          :nnoremap <Ins> "*y

          Peppe
          --
          "Before you criticize someone, walk
          Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
            On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:22:25 -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > >Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
            > >but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.
            >
            > My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
            > there is no <Ins> option in vim.

            It's in

            :help terminal-options

            Actually, I just realised my example was wrong (although the
            question I'm asking isn't) :(.

            What I'm trying to do is tell Vim "when you receive these
            sequence of keys, treat it as if I pressed <C-Ins>". What I'd
            really like to do is this:

            :set <C-Ins>=^[[2^

            .. since Eterm sends "<ESC>[2^" when I press <C-Ins>. (The ^[
            above is a real escape character). However, that doesn't work.

            Oddly enough, these statements _do_ work:

            :set <Ins>=^[[2^
            :set <S-Ins>=^[[2^

            Which implies that <C-Ins> isn't a known key combination to Vim.
            But this works fine:

            vnoremap <C-Ins> "*y

            so it looks like <C-Ins> doesn't work only in the context of the
            :set command.

            --
            #ozone/algorithm <ozone@...> - trust.in.love.to.save