Re: [BUG] set =... doesn't work?

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 04:57 AM, Andre Pang wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm trying to map <C-Ins>:
      >
      > vnoremap <C-Ins> "*y
      >
      > .. that works fine.
      >
      > So then I wanted to try getting that mapping to work in terminals
      > (my terminal emulator generates ^[[2^ when I hit C-Insert), but
      > Vim doesn't like this:
      >
      > set <C-Insert>=^[[2^
      >
      > (it complains with "Unknown option").
      >
      > Trying "set <Ins>=", set <Insert>=" or "set <S-Ins>=" works
      > perfectly, though. D'oh! I think this is a Vim bug.

      I am surprised that

      :set <Ins>=

      does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
      Does it do anything?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Andre Pang
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
        On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:20:30 -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > >Trying "set <Ins>=", set <Insert>=" or "set <S-Ins>=" works
        > >perfectly, though. D'oh! I think this is a Vim bug.
        >
        > I am surprised that
        >
        > :set <Ins>=
        >
        > does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
        > Does it do anything?

        Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
        but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.

        (That'll teach me to abbreviate things next time!)

        --
        #ozone/algorithm <ozone@...> - trust.in.love.to.save
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
          On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Andre Pang wrote:

          > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:20:30 -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          >>> Trying "set <Ins>=", set <Insert>=" or "set <S-Ins>=" works
          >>> perfectly, though. D'oh! I think this is a Vim bug.
          >>
          >> I am surprised that
          >>
          >> :set <Ins>=
          >>
          >> does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
          >> Does it do anything?
          >
          > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
          > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.

          My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
          there is no <Ins> option in vim.

          :help :set

          BTW, I am guessing that you are typing <Ins> literally (five
          characters).

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
            Isn't this in the same category with ":set t_xx=value" (define what code the
            keyboard sends when you press t_xx)?

            > >> I am surprised that
            > >>
            > >> :set <Ins>=
            > >>
            > >> does not generate an error (although I can confirm that it does not).
            > >> Does it do anything?
            > >
            > > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
            > > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.
            >
            > My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
            > there is no <Ins> option in vim.
            >
            > :help :set
            >
            > BTW, I am guessing that you are typing <Ins> literally (five
            > characters).
            >
            > HTH --Benji Fisher

          • Preben Peppe Guldberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
              Thus wrote Antoine J. Mechelynck (antoine.mechelynck@...) on [020702]:
              > Isn't this in the same category with ":set t_xx=value" (define what code the
              > keyboard sends when you press t_xx)?

              Seems like a good guess. Is it true (anyone?)?

              > > On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Andre Pang wrote:

              > > > Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
              > > > but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.

              If this does anything worth while, it clears whatever this <Ins> option
              is as the '"*y' is a comment in this context.

              Andre, are you looking for eg.

              :nnoremap <Ins> "*y

              Peppe
              --
              "Before you criticize someone, walk
              Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
                On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:22:25 -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > >Sorry, I meant 'set <Ins>="*y' works, as does 'set <S-Ins>="*y',
                > >but 'set <C-Ins>="*y' does not.
                >
                > My question remains: what, if anything, does this do? AFAIK,
                > there is no <Ins> option in vim.

                It's in

                :help terminal-options

                Actually, I just realised my example was wrong (although the
                question I'm asking isn't) :(.

                What I'm trying to do is tell Vim "when you receive these
                sequence of keys, treat it as if I pressed <C-Ins>". What I'd
                really like to do is this:

                :set <C-Ins>=^[[2^

                .. since Eterm sends "<ESC>[2^" when I press <C-Ins>. (The ^[
                above is a real escape character). However, that doesn't work.

                Oddly enough, these statements _do_ work:

                :set <Ins>=^[[2^
                :set <S-Ins>=^[[2^

                Which implies that <C-Ins> isn't a known key combination to Vim.
                But this works fine:

                vnoremap <C-Ins> "*y

                so it looks like <C-Ins> doesn't work only in the context of the
                :set command.

                --
                #ozone/algorithm <ozone@...> - trust.in.love.to.save